Building in Florida

Started by rampage, December 11, 2005, 10:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rampage

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for the last few months. I've already learned a lot from this forum. I recently ordered the Big Enchilada plans as an entry into building myself some small storage buildings and playhouse for the kid. I'll probably order some of the other plans as well and will work my way up to building a small house eventually. My limited experience with building is framing in the lanai on my house and the carpentry class I took in highschool. At the time I only took the course so that I could hang outside with the stoners...yep, what a waste, but i did learn some things. My question to the group is what do you think I'll be up against with meeting hurricane standards that arent normally talked about on this board? Here in Florida all the new homes have these threaded rods going from the top plate, through the exterior walls, and into the concrete slab. I guess I'll have to talk to an engineer but any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks

glenn kangiser

Welcome  to the forum, Rampage and congrats on figuring out what the shop class was for. :)

That sounds similar to the seismic tie downs -bracing used in a lot of our buildings here -engineer specified.

I would think that you'll be able to have tie downs spec'ed for your plans by a local engineer or architect.  Maybe someone else knows for sure.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.