Help needed with lubmer sizing on deck

Started by cedarglen, February 06, 2006, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

I need to bulid a sun deck as depicted in the sketch above, the deck will be 20'x10' in size and the posts will have to be 12' long to make it to the ground. We do get some snow. What size lumber should I use for each ? in the picture above and how far should I put the support beam from the house? I will have to submit plans to the building dept,  All help appreciated.

John_M

When in doubt, build it stout....

I'm thinking 4 x 6 at least if not just using 6 x 6's.  Probaly spaced 8 feet apart.

You could go 8 to 10 feet from the house, depending on if you use 2 x 6, 2 x 8, or even 2 x 10 joists.

You may need some bracing on the 6 x 6's to the beam for additional support.  Don't be afraid to ask the building inspector questions.  They are generally out there to help you and often appreciate your questions.  Makes it sound like you want to do it right!! ;)

peg_688

I'd go w/ 6x6 post , w/ 4 x8 beam let into the post top , thur bolted thru post and beam w/ 1/2 x7 galv bolt.

8' off the house , post 6' OC on a zmax post bracket in a 16"x16" x12" concrete footing.  Those pier pads have the slug of concrete under them ;)

Joist I'd use 2x8 16" oc.

Also dia. bracing lagged to each side of the post , like these braces shown .

They may want a Kicker running back up toward the house again tieing the post to the joist .

Good luck , ask the building dept. they are there to help you , it's thier job  ;) Remind them of that if they get whippy with ya .  PEG

Amanda_931

Joists parallel to the house, not perpendicular.  Is one better than the other?

peg_688

QuoteJoists parallel to the house, not perpendicular.  Is one better than the other?

Ah it depends on if your building a deck or a porch.

On a traditional porch the boards you walk on run 90° off the house , so your joist would run parrallel to the house on 16" or 24" centers.

On what is a normal deck your deck boards run parrallel ,( or some times diagionally ) to the house so your joist are 90° off the house.  

The other thing with the parraral setup your running more short beams , more beam hangers at the house , so your posts would be a wash or close to it , your beam stock would be the same linal footage , but your labor would be a bit more cutting and setting more smaller / shorter beams.

So it depends if you want a porch or a deck :)

PEG    

Amanda_931