Creating a 'Training Curriculum" for folks light on experience but big on dreams

Started by duncanshannon, February 27, 2011, 10:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanshannon

Hi- 

We started to discuss this in another thread, so I'm breaking it out to its own conversation.   The basic idea is this... can we (should we) create a list of 'projects' that people (like me, with light experience but desire to learn) can undertake to practice and gain confidence before working on the final product (cabin/house)? countryplans.com has tons of good information (links to books, this forum, great plans etc).  I think we should create a list of other 'homework' or smaller projects that people can take on to get some experience.

Personally I've got a number of projects that I've identified I could take on to help "practice" for the big dance in a few years. 

* I ordered the plans for the 10x14 small house and may build it as a shed in my backyard (floor, walls, roof etc)
* I need a new deck on the front of my house (framing the floor)
* I can finish my basement (framing walls)
* Finish the garage / build a workbench

What are other good projects to cover other skill areas?  Small cabinet building project? Some plumbing (pex?) how about electrical? Creating a cement countertop!

If we have a list of projects, then we could build some plans for them or criteria for the project... so a greenhorn could undertake that project and get a feel for it.

I'm pretty excited  [cool] about the idea and think it could make for some great content on countryforums.com

thoughts?

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0