change of plans

Started by melwynnd, June 02, 2005, 12:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

Hi everyone,

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but spring is so hectic for me.  

We bought the Victoria's Cottage plans early this spring, planning to build on my parents place next year.  But we've since changed our minds(didn't waste the money though as John's plans helped me a great deal in drawing my own).  The house next door, with less property, just sold for 200,000.  At this rate there is a good chance we won't be able to afford to buy my brother and sister out when we inherit.  Also, several subdivisions have been made on the road we live on, so it may get too crowded for our taste in 10-15 years.

Anyway, we've decided to completely take our 14X70 trailer down to the deck and redo it the way we want.  It's an old trailer with a very solid trailer, the axles and tongue under it, but the the construction is shoddy(surprise!).  So I've drawn up plans.  We're going to have to do this in sections so we may be a bit cramped for the next few years(a good excuse to get rid of some stuff!)  Also, since we're putting on a shed roof(10' high on south side to 8' high on north), we're going to have to figure out how to seal each section between times.

Sherry

glenn-k

Hi Sherry,

I was just wondering how you were doing the other day.  

Sometimes you just kick things back and forth and realize that you have to do things different than what you thought you would earlier.

Better now than after you've spent a lot of money on something that may not be cost effective later.

Keep us posted - .

Jens

I did the same thing on my moms ranch, with a 12 by 60.  10' to 8' roof.  one bump out for the dining table.  Comp roof, all new floor, walls, windows, roofing.  It is all dried in, and electrical is done.  Just so you know, we bargain shop for most things, and it has cost about $5000 so far.  We figure on $8000 when all is done.  I did the framing, and subfloor 8' wall sections at a time, but as it was in the middle of a California valley summer, didn'g need to seal from rain.  Just a thought, since you know what kind of roof you need, you could build a roof held up by post and beam, to be covered up for the entire thing.  My summer days were hot, and Wyoming is prolly the same!  soing this too, you could remove a section at a time, replace the floor framing if needed, and the subfloor, and tilt your walls up to the timberframe.  Just a thought.  It'll be a long process, especially if you are living in it.  make sure your marriage is strong (if youare married), as this kind of thing breaks them most of the time.  Just remodeling mine almost killed my marriage.  Would it be the same cost perhaps (maybe a little more) to just build a cabin?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

melwynnd

Hobbiest,

It will surely cost as much or more than a cabin, but I want something we can hook to the tractor and move somewhere else if we need to.  We don't own the property we are on(it's my parents') and it's getting pricey and croweded as well.  I am married and this will be a challenge for both of us.  We usually have similar ideas, but often have trouble explaining exactly what we want to each other.  But I'm sure we'll get through it.

Sherry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

JRR

Rebuilding a trailer "correctly" could be an interesting project.   It will probably gain a lot of weight in the process .... ending up too heavy for the original wheels and axles.

If you built a connection joint in the middle, you could later move it in two parts .....each 14' x 35' section moved separately, to be rejoined at final destination.   This would make the weight manageable.  Of course, there would have to be a way to move and center each "half" over the axles to keep the tongue weight in bounds.

melwynnd

JRR,

Not sure I'd want to have to move it in two sections.  Perhaps adding another axle or two would work.  If I remember correctly, it already has two under it(maybe three?).  Do you think it would really add that much more weight?  

The trailer has 2x4 exterior walls and 2x6 ceiling joists now.  Of course the interior walls are 1x with that lovely paneling, all stapled.  We'll put 2x4's in and sheetrock would be heavier than paneling.  We're planning on a steel roof which is light, and adding 1/2 plywood over the existing floor rather than trying to scrape up the glue left by the carpet and vinyl.  I don't think the vinyl windows we've chosen are too much heavier than the ones in it now.  We've also decided only to change the wall height on the south side and leave the north at 7'6".  

We toyed with the idea of tearing down the 2x4 walls and replacing them with 2x6's, but have decided to just repair any damage(we may have to take some out) and add 1" of rigid foam insulation to the outside under the siding(NO TIN!!) instead.  This will give us as much R value as 2x6 with the added advantage of a thermal break between the studs and siding.

Anyway, thats the plan..........subject to immediate and numerous changes ;D.

Sherry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

Amanda_931

My old house in Nashville was made out of a couple of boxcars (with another addition stick-framed).

It was decidedly not intended to be moved.

Just made out of recycled materials (probably in the early 20's from box-cars made surplus after WWI)

DavidLeBlanc

My aunt and uncle owned and lived in a house made from old street cars on the eastern edge of Denver.

My parents looked at, but did not buy, another house nearby, also made from old street cars. My room would have been one end of an old street car, complete with wrap around (original) windows!

Amanda_931

How neat!

Probably really cold in the wintertime.

My house tended to stay cold--or cost an arm and a leg to heat.