Critique My Plans

Started by DaveOrr, April 28, 2013, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveOrr

Been busy working on plans for my remote cabin build and I have come up with a couple of slightly different plans for the first floor.
The plan is to build a 20X24 loft cabin.
The first floor will have kitchen, bathroom, livingroom and utility/storage rooms.
The first plan has the utility/storage room running completely across the back wall and includes storage area under the stairs. Thes second plan has the storage under the stairs off the bathroom. In this configuration the bathroom has been shifted toward the back wall opening up more area in the livingroom/kitchen area.
The plan is for a propane toilet in the bathroom as composting toilets don't work here and there is no way to put in septic on the lot.

This is my original idea.

And this is the updated version.

This is the second floor loft are.

So what say you?   ???
Any changes you think that should be made?
Which plan y'all like better?

Thanks in advance for your input.   ;D
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Alan Gage

I don't really have time to look at it that closely right now but the first thing I saw that I would personally change is that little (what I assume is) eating counter next to the entry door.  If it was me I'd make the counter top wider with an overhang and use that for eating instead.  You can make the extended part taller so it's bar height or just leave it the same height (36") which gives you an extra deep work surface, which I really like in my place.

I'd also put windows above the bed in the loft so that you can get some cross ventilation.

Alan

jaransont3

Couple things jump out at me at first look.

I think the stairs will feel really narrow and closed in with them in the corner with full walls on both side.  I also think the headroom at the top will be really limited, even with a 12:12 pitch roof.  I would look at having the stairs at the front edge of the loft and use them as a design element.  Turn the first step at the bottom and last step at the top 90 degrees so that you are exiting into the middle of the loft.  You can also then have a short railing there with the desk in that corner so you still get the view over the loft.  You could also then tuirn the bed 90 degrees and center it on the cabin under the gable end window.

I agree with Alan....lose the short wall and flip chairs around to an extended counter.  Much more open and inviting in a small space.

I would put the bathroom in the top left corner behind the stairs and have the door open into the kitchen utility space instead of the living room.

Just some thoughts.....FWIW.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

Don_P

Yup, a quick riser count puts the landing at around 54" off the floor, you need 6'8" headroom, 3 dimensional thinking... good eye. The chimney stack will be quite tall outside, it'll need support.

DaveOrr

Thanks for all of the info guys.   :)
I have thought about extending the counter and turning the chairs around, I have a hard time dealing with turning my back on the view though. It may still happen as I really won't know how it will all look until it starts getting built. If I could get away with a ships ladder to access the loft I would. The stairs use up too much space in a small cabin. The reason for stairs over a ladder is my dog can't climb ladders.   ;D
There is plenty of headroom as I have designed in 1/2 walls on the upper floor to raise the ceiling height.

I also realize that the stove pipe will need support. I'll also need to figure out how I'm going to clean the chimney.   ???

Here's a rendering of the loft.

And another from the kitchen looking out the where the lake is. Don't have lake pictures yet.   ;)

Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

firefox

Maybe a dog ramp along a wall integrated with the decor. Think about it.
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824