pocket doors--pros and cons?

Started by MikeT, January 04, 2008, 01:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwv

We have pocket doors between our bedroom and lav and between the 2 lavs and the shower.  So far (only been in the house since April) they  are just what we wanted.  Haven't had any problems (now the bifold into the office space-another story)

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

hnash53

My parents bought their house in 1964 and the house was 10 years old then, and they have the same pocket door for their bathroom.  The comments on quality are probably excellent advice.

PEG688

For those who didn't notice I added a bit on pocket doors in the "finish trim tips" thread the stickie near the top.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Okie_Bob

Yep, noticed for sure Peg and just wished you'd posted it before I installed my 'cheap' pocket doors.
When I did, I forgot to cut the doors to allow for carpet and after the carpet was installed, I could not get the doors open. Of course I was on the wrong side and even taking off the trim did not allow me to take the doors down. So, I had to cut the bottoms off the doors....in place!! You can imagine what that looks like. Had I trimmed them the way Peg shows, it would have not been a problem!
Moral is, don't do nuttin unless you first clear it with Peg!!!(my hero along with Glenn and John)
Okie Bob