foundation question

Started by Sean, July 26, 2005, 02:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

This isn't really a small house plan question but I figured this was the best place to ask where there would be lots of experience building small structures.

I am building a small 10'x12' shed and I am going to be locating it on my asphalt driveway.

I am located in Colorado, outside of Denver at 8,000 ft, so we experience  all kinds of weather.

My question is what would be the best foundation for it?  Is there some way to fasten it down onto the ashpalt so it can't move around or should I just place it right on top of the asphalt with pavers/deck blocks or skids?

Amanda_931

A consideration in my part of the country would be how new the asphalt is.  Old, or with a high recycled content would be more stable than fresh.

As the paving companies have learned.  Even if the one down the street from my house in Nashville would give away "recycle" for one's driveway when it got to be solid puddles.  (with zillions of dump trucks going within 50 feet of the house every day, they had to be nice to us!

Other than that it would depend on what's under the driveway.  What does happen if you hammer on the ground?

glenn kangiser

If it's a temporary structure and no danger of earthquake or wind damage on top would probably work.

Anchors into asphalt would do some holding but not a lot especially when hot.  Next is as Amanda said-- under it-  you could use a digging bar, rotohammer with chisel, air chisel or jack hammer to dig out a square - dig it out with a post hole digger a couple feet or so deep, put tie downs in a few places (4 ?) such as  all thread with a 6"  plate and nut on the bottom for a deadman then fasten your foundation to that. Backfill and tamp or fill with concrete depending on how secure you want to be.

These are just suggestions of things that may work- suitability for your purpose is up to you.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.