Hillside run off & raised pier foundations

Started by Chuckca, May 09, 2005, 10:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

Let's assume that you going to build the 20x30 loft model....raised pier foundation....backs to a hillside...decks....no poured concrete worries....

My question is do you just let the hillside drain (assuming there are no small creeks/streams)....the run off just passes under the house....you've of course  removed all the daming possibilitiess....

Or do/should you set up a diversion system that will route the water away from the the P n' P foundation....out and away.....

I spoke with two building departments...of course they gave me two opposite answers....

Thanks

Daddymem

I'll take a stab.  I think you have two answers because it is probably site specific.  Personally, I would divert water away from my house with swales or planting bed berms.  However, if the slope is steep enough and there was no chance for water to pool up under the house, I may consider swaling under the house, although I would do that very reluctantly and with some sort of pipe in a gravel trench as extra protection.  Flowing water has incredible power so it is best to keep it away from your structures if possible.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

jonsey/downunder

I would agree with Daddymem. You would generally have no ground cover under the house just bare earth, That would be prone to erosion, could be a major problem at some stage.
jonesy.

I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Jimmy C.

Hello Chuckca,

I have the same situation at my site. I am planning on building some sort of raised flowerbed to redirect any water flow around the house. I am also planning to use gutters to catch the rainfall and move it away from the post and beam foundation.      

http://n00104.myspace.com/00104/89/98/104358998_l.jpg
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS