I've been ROBBED!!!!

Started by Kevin, May 07, 2005, 12:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Headed up to Vermont Thursday night to do some work for the first time this year. I had waited for the snow to melt and and the mud to dry. I had planned to to put the deck on and install the french doors. But as soon as got there I notice something was wrong.I check my shed were I had kept some of my tools and guess what. Gone. My saws, ext. cord, flashing a brand new window, shovels and rakes, and even a old junkie lawn mower someone gave me.Some other small stuff was gone to. Its a good thing I dont keep my good tools there. So i wasted a trip up there.(a 8 hour drive one way) plus I have to replace the tools and materials. But my next trip will be to install a Gate and lock it. So everyone learn from my mistake I thought I was safe because my place was 1/4 mile back into the woods off a dirt road.
Kevin

glenn kangiser

That really sucks, Kevin. >:(

Where are the Marines snipers when you need them ???
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jonsey/downunder

Kevin, here's an idea. Try advertising in the local newspaper, in the wanted to buy section. Advertise for stuff similar to what was taken, use a local address or a cell phone number. The turkey that stole your stuff may just turn up trying to sell it back to you. Tell him you are interested and will call back, take the phone and address and send the cops. May be worth a go, you might get some of it back.
jonesy.

I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Jimmy C.

Sorry to hear that.
I'm scared of the same thing.

Dont you wish you had a picture of them?  
Check this out!

Critter cam: It's hunting when you're not
1. Useful for scouting, biology and curiosity, game-camera technology is simple — and fun — to operate before, during & after hunting seasons
By Mark Freeman
Medford Mail Tribune
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/s/h_fea_critter_cam_Freeman.html
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Daddymem

That's horrible Kevin.  Probably some bored kids.  An 8 hour wasted trip really sucks too.  Set up a search on ebay for your items sorted for that area "distance nearest first," who knows maybe they'll try to dump them on there if it wasn't too long ago.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Kevin

Thankyou all for the support.  The problem about trying to see if he's selling them is I dont know when he took the stuff. I was last there at the start of Nov. so he had 6 month to do it.
I also forgot to mention they ripped my cleanout stacks for the septic tank out of the ground and let all kinds of dirt and junk in. I hadn't had time to cut to be below ground yet. So I'm hoping it will not hurt my tank. It hasn't even been used yet. Here's the funny thing he took the time to latch the shed door back and he never went into the cabin.
The critter cam sounds like a good idea. Have to give that one some thinking on.

ebass

Kevin:

Really sorry to hear of your losses and damage........and right now, you feel violated.......but it could have been worse........(small consolation, I know) :-[...... the good news is, you still have your good tools, ..... you now have some idea of what you're dealing with, and you can make some smart moves to recover your possessions and protect your property in the future..........

ebass

hunter63

A friend tryed the " critter cam", they stole that too.

Shawna

One of the guys down the mountain posted a No Trespassing sign and put it on his front door, on the bottom he wrote "I am a Retired Marine, I know 100 ways to blow you to He**."

We also have a 8 hour drive up to Tennessee and  didn't want (nor can afford) for everything to be missing when we get there. We thought about building a barn or a shed and just locking it, but we didn't think that would really stop anyone. Our solution was to rent a small storage space that's about 5 miles away from the property. Every trip up there we have taken whatever we can fit in the truck along with the dogs and kids, now all the tools, furniture, and supplies have a safe home until we use them and then we can lock it all up until the next time.

We were told when we bought the property that "roughnecks" had stolen alot of other peoples stuff, so we decided to play it safe and keep our stuff off site.

Chuckca

Have you thought about buying or renting a sea cargo box...they're pretty cheap...if you you're willing to paint them....sorta buying them as is...yellow pages list brokers near you....

Amanda_931

Some people who moved into the area (now seem to be gone, may have decided that this was not a good area for them) had a bunch of furniture books tools and building materials to move from California.

So they bought a Container (Trailer or rail car size, used to bring stuff from China and beyond--since more comes in than goes out, sometimes they are very inexpensive) filled it, found a dead-heading trucker to bring it to them, buried it half-way into the hill.  Swore that sooner or later it would be cleaned out and they could use it for a storm shelter.

Sounded like a pretty good idea.

I've got stuff in mini-storage(s).