Joining Two Small Bldgs Together...Ideas?

Started by ebass, March 30, 2005, 04:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebass

Hi Everyone:

I've been looking at John's plans while trying to take more aspects of building into mind, and also looking at my somewhat shrinking budget....... sound familiar to anyone else? :)
    On the original Victoria's cottage construction photos, there is a covered breezeway joining the two buildings.......would it be just as easy and cheaper to join the two buildings "end to end" and eliminate the breezeway?
     Any thoughts on how this might effect floor plans and movement between buildings?
      Also, how far does the nook extend away from the 16' wide structure?

Thanks,

ebass

John Raabe

RE: Victoria's Cottage.

The kitchen extension is 5'

Yes, you could join the buildings and do the Builder's cottage as an addition to the back of the VC. That would save some framing and not really do much to the structure as the weight is carried on the side walls.

For Victoria this smaller building is now used as a rental and the separation is appreciated.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ebass

John,Glenn or Anyone:

In a rental situation, it's understandable why someone would want a breezeway separation......

Could the breezeway be kept as a separation, and redesigned as a sunroom, or for passive heat for one or both of the buildings?

Thanks,

ebass 

Shelley

Sure you could do that.  Could be very inviting.

But your original question was about cost.  Butt them together=cheapest.  Breezeway/dogtrot=next cheapest.
Sun room conncection=next cheapest

Separation of space goes quite nicely with the post that John made earler today.  And the link that Daddymem posted.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

ebass

Shelley:

I've looked for Daddymem's link and can't find it.......can you tell me where to look?.....

Thank you :)

ebass

Shelley

Referral Links

The Back Road Home.

Has a discussion of the look of the classic American Farm stead...similar to what John posted today.

Then there are some very interesting quotes from books written in the 1800s...about where to build, how to design etc.

Would the other thing you're looking for be on his pages about his own house with the solar sun room...or do you think that it was a post?
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

Practicality of the breezeway as a sunroom would depend a lot on it's orientation also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

QuoteShelley:

I've looked for Daddymem's link and can't find it.......can you tell me where to look?.....

Thank you :)

ebass

http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=0003;action=display;num=1112295289
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

ebass

Shelley:

It was a post or maybe a reply........I've seen John's pages re: his sunroom and what I'm trying to recall isn't there.......I think it may have been what to do and what not to do in building one, plus proper dimensions of a sunroom for whatever size house you have and how to circulate air........something like that.......

I appreciate your efforts :)

ebass

ebass

Thanks Daddymem......your link will be helpful......

ebass :)