Perma-Column or Poured Pier? Difference in $$$?

Started by jbos333, March 11, 2011, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi all. I'm wondering which alternative is more cost effective- (18) 12" dia. builder's tube piers w/rebar or perma-column precast post bases?

Frost line is 48", both types would have to be atop a 24" dia "cookie" footer, I believe.

I know the perma-columns will cost me approx $2200.00 picked up at my building supply. What I do not know is the volume of concrete I would be using with the poured piers.

If anyone can shoot me an approximate number, I would appreciate it. Even if you can let me know what you paid per yard of concrete, that would help.

This is for a "pole" type structure, btw. I don't want to put the wood pole bottoms into direct ground contact.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jbos333

Hi Don, thanks. Well if I calculate it looks like .116 cu yd per 48" pier. If I take a figure of $110.00/yd that's about $13.00/pier. I don't yet know the actual price/ cu yd locally, or the minimum charge, but that should be close. Add about $7.00 ea for sonotube, that's $20.00 each. Then maybe throw in $10.00/ea for rebar, another $10.00/ea for a simpson bracket on top, maybe we're up to $40.00/pier. Of course, I will have to get some actual figures, but it looks like piers will be maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the precast Perma-Column.

But, the perma-column is all ready to attach to your post and slide down the hole.