hard wood floor water damage

Started by firefox, September 15, 2007, 10:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

Hi All,
 Does anyone have any tips on refinishing and sealing up a hardwood floor that has minor water damage?
The cracks between the piece have opened up a little and the edges have started to curl up maybe
a 1/16" or so. I was thinking it could be sanded down and then the crack sealed with something.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

peg_688

Depends how bad it is .  I mean is the whole floor like that?

Floors  can be saved they will never look brand new every where but they have more character ;)

But yes once it's dried out all the way meaning the subfloor as well. If you can get under the floor and use a moisture meter on the bottom side of the subfloor you should be down to 6 or 7 % MC before you sand .

Of course where you live may move that # up or down, could you compare the MC to a dry section of floor? If there is one?

But yes once dry old floor can be sanded with a floor sander , rentals are generally pretty hammered tools , if you can find Hummel brand to rent those are nice sanders  they have 4 or 5 random orbit sanders that over lap each other under neath , the older drummer sanders are harder to control as in not grind humps into the hardwood.

You sand starting with some times as low as 36 grit and work to finer grits generally about 120 grit. After sanding a floor filler is all most aways used , never have seen it done without filler ,( but ya know some ones done it  ::)   )

After the filler you grind that off with the 120 grit , vac the floor and apply your finish of choice. Lots of thsoe as well.  

So does that cover it? Your situation that is.

firefox

Thanks Peg,
 Yes that covers it except for a few details.
Can you reccomend a filler and a finish.

Since I have never done this before, I would like to get it done right the first time.

Luckily the damage is in only two or three places, and only is apparant over 3 sq ft areas.

I really appreciate your help!!!

Bruce

peg_688

I  used a water borne finish on my own floor that had a additive that you mix in just before use , it's been very good . We have a couple of dogs and really don't treat the floor very well , normal living I'd call it , an dit has held up really good like I said. I don't remember the exact brand unfortunatlly :(

This link has some good looking product  

http://floormechanics.com/

Of what they have this one would be my choice , yes it's spendy but it should hold up for years . Refinishing wood floors is not something you wnat to redo ever 5 years . So think long term.

Bona Kemi - Traffic (1-gal)
Details

Specification Sheet

Formulated specifically for heavy-traffic commercial and residential hardwood floors, TRAFFIC (TM) provides commercial quality durability in a wood floor finish. VOC compliant and nonflammable. Accelerated curing time (90% in 72 hours).

Comes complete with Hardener catalyst and strainer cap.

FREE SHIPPING - SAVE $$.

Coverage : 350 - 400 Square Feet per Gallon. Always in stock.

Don't forget to check out the handy Bona Mix Bottle at the bottom of this page. It's free with a 5 gallon purchase of Traffic.  

They have a compatable filler you'll see in the link.

A point about the filler , you do the entire floor using a 12" or so board knife , start in one corner of a room and fill your way out covering the entire area with filler , most are chemical based , (laquer thinner based) so they dry fast you need to really move the knife quickly , 1/2 circle motions , you'll get the feel of it when you start. You'll use lots of filler for about 1000 sq. ft. I used 5 gals.

I remember a floor finisher we used a few times saying "Theres  two things a floor finisher needs , #1 Plenty of filler , #2 A understanding wife."  The second part I think we all need , men anyway ;D YMMV ;)  

Another good link ,

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/flooring/hardwood/refinish_1/sanding_random_orbital.htm

This next link has the type sander that most user friendly in a photo in the right corner, finding one to rent may be a problem unless you live in or near a big city.

http://www.rentalhq.com/article.asp?artid=67&cat=con

They have some good info on the process as well.

G/L PEG

Sassy

Thanks for the info Peg!  I will have to finish a couple floors in the underground cabin eventually - I was looking at using a hand held band? sander - but it doesn't sand very evenly - if you don't move it just right it can gouge into the wood  :-/ .  

I've been looking for a good floor finishers - didn't know you needed a filler - I don't quite understand the concept for needing a filler  :-? - I think of "filler" as putty...  

peg_688

It's more like what commonly called wood dough, comes in different colors , dry very fast , that whats used not the soft color puddy in the clear plastic containers you see at Home depot. They do sell the wood dough in small , generally metal cans , lil tiny ones 6 or 10 Oz. or so.

For a floor filler you need a 5 gal bucket. Did you look at the links , I just skimmed over them , but you like I said spread that filler over the whole entire floor the sand it off. Doesn't matter if the floors , R. Oak , W. Oak , Cherry , Maple , Jatoba , etc just pick a filler that closest in color and fill the floor with it.  

If your going to stain the wood you do the same thing , a closets is a good test area , sand it down , test your filler and stain in there , if you don't like it sand it off try another color combo.

Simple eh!

firefox

Thanks Peg!
  That really answered it all, including the understanding wife, which luckily I have.
The project is still a ways off, but now I am prepared for it instead of fretting over it.
Now does anyone have a formula for tenderizing cats...oops, never mind....Just kidding.
Bruce