Cheap house wrap

Started by youngins, May 22, 2007, 02:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

Any internet sources for cheap house wrap?

glenn-k

Most reliable wrap is the oldest -- felt -- (tarpaper).

MikeT

I am planning on using this on my beach house project.  The only question is 15# or 30#.  John suggest wrinkled a bit, as I recall.   But then I was talking with a local (Portland siding contractor) who suggested using two layers of tarpaper for the coast.  Does that sound reasonable or unreasonably redundant?

mt

MarkAndDebbie

glenn-k

Dude, that is not nice.  Homey don't do dat. >:(

glenn-k

Mike, Sassy talked to a roofer here who said not to mess with the 15 lb.  Just do the thirty.

As for double, I don't know -- I saw double spec'd on a firehouse down here.  They did it by half roll laps like shingles --.

Interesting to note that the fire department  CDF here is spec'ing felt rather than Tyvek etc.  That is because felt works.  Another thing about felt is that not only will it wrinkle to let the water drain but if exposed to water long enough it will then begin to wick it out until it is dry.  Tyvek etc. will simply cause rot and mold.  

If Tyvek etc gets dirty or soap from washing - some type of surfactant on it, it fails and is no longer effective in preventing water from getting in.  This could be as simple as dust and dirt getting blown in over years or washing the siding.  Multiple apartments were torn down because of failed house wrap in Oregon, I was told.

fourx

Well, on a firehouse is the only place I'd use tarpaper, unless it's changed in the last two decades or so- when I burnt the scraps after I finished building I was amazed just how very combustible it is. I got a house-full of used wool carpet a inch thick and used that on the walls ( cost $40) after seeing how the tarpaper in the cieling burnt.. The only problem with it is the mice love it, but as insulation it is great, and far safer than tarpaper.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

Amanda_931

Internet?  

Get it locally if possible--shipping would be a lot.  

youngins

Yeah - ended up getting a roll of 40lb (I think) to fix another roofing problem we had this weekend. ended up not using much on the roof so we will have plenty for the playhouse roof / vapor barrier.

"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."