Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Nice work PEG - I really like the style of the veggie bin.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Kids toys , well , one toy, one cradle ,

This one is  a rebound cab/ hutch, had a hard life :( we'll see if she can be restored :)

All built in the 80's , PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

You've built a lot of nice furniture, PEG - I especially liked the dry sink & the veggie bin... (besides those neat doors you restored)

Cecilia, I like those chairs & the bench--love how it looks with the rubbed oil finish, I'll have to try that on some doors & window sills.  You're house is very nice, too.

Well, I have some new accessories in our cabin to report!   :)  Finally got the washer & dryer hooked up today!  Now I don't have to drag everything back & forth to our other place, yea!  (I don't ask Glenn to help with the laundry anymore after he helped me one time by washing all the colors & whites together... on-the-other-hand, he may have done that on purpose so he wouldn't have to do it anymore  ;)  Nah, he wouldn't have done that... :D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

hunter63

Lots of good projects in this thread.
While working on my small log cabin, I was forced to do alot of custom work also, getting better at it but this is the kitchen, so far. Buiult the base at the "city house then installed at the "Place"

Did alot of mods on old furiture that I picked up, cutting the top off a 4 drawer dresser, making it a three drawer, to fit under the windows in the loft.
Using a  two old water bed platforms and new head boards to have storage under the beds etc.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

lodestar

Be the change you wish to see in the world...
~Gandhi

Amanda_931

Ran across a kind of interesting book the other day--

Northwoods Furniture, by Jim Stack

Odd combination of perfectly reasonable--but then he tells you how to mess up a saw blade so you can make wood look really really rough-sawn.  And instructs you to not get all the boards on the table top quite in line.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558705694/sr=8-1/qid=1144201765/ref=sr_1_1/103-4441361-7626258?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Chair on the cover is thin pieces of ash, bent and glued.  It almost looks like I could do it.  Not an exceptionally graceful design, though.

peg_688

[size=12]How about a paint grade fireplace mantal  :)

Tomorrow I'll finish making the accual top and go install it . Then the painter will make it look pretty.   MDF doesn't look like much unpainted.

[/size]  

jonseyhay

Looks pretty good to me Pegg. The customer should be real pleased with that. :)

peg_688

[size=12]  

Installed mantal  :)

Now for the over mantal , beveled mirror , Raised panel, couple of more pilasters , and some crown at the ceiling.

And for those who might ask all manf. spec's where followed as to clearances at the breast plate and mantal top  ;)

Now for the painter we wait ::)
PEG

[/size]  

AAA-DAY

Glen,
I am really interested in how you constructed the fold up table, what a great space saving idea. Do you have a picture of the table in the down position?
My husband just finished building a wonderful coat rack/shelf combo for our cabin. It is a knock-off from one in the Restoration Hardware catalogue that sold for $800. Ours cost $50.00 to make!

glenn kangiser

Here is a picture of it.

The 3x4's underneath are actually stops to keep the leaves from going too far down when loaded.  The two pieces on the leaves butt up to the ones on the center section putting them in compression and the piano hinges in tension.  The ends were shaved after the leaves shrunk a bit more making leaves sit a bit high -- they are pretty even now and have not changed after the initial adjustment.  The two leaves are put on with piano hinges as well as the hinge to the post being piano hinge also.  Another piece of piano hinge holds the leg to the bottom of the table so it simply folds up when the table is stored against the post.  The leaves fold around the post when the table is stored and a spice rack was added to fill out the space between the leaves when stored.  Appx size is 4'6"x 4'6"

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jwv

AAA-Day!!

I Want That!  (we could do a thread just like the HGTV show).  The coat rack/shelf is beautiful. great job

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

AAA-DAY

Thanks Judy!
Thank you for the detailed explaination of the table, Glenn. What a great concept. I might have to put my "tool man" on that project!

ki4hpz

Darn, wish i had some talent...I built a gun rack in high school...lol

cecilia

Here's a photo of our new bookcase.

My poor long suffering husband had already cut the timber for the shelves of a more conventional bookcase when I had a great stroke of luck and found a lovely design for a more higgledy piggledy sort of layout.

Actually he didn't need too much persuading to change the design as he found the uneven height of the shelves easier to fit!

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

glenn-k

That's really a  nice book case Cecilia ----but no fair changing horses in the middle of the stream. :)

cecilia

I agree Glenn (well sort of), but he truly didn't take much persuading to change the design, and he was able to do it without wasting any of the timber (luckily he has a good mathematical brain).

He can't have been too upset altering the design, as he's now decided to do the upstairs bank of bookcases in a similar style.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when it comes to installing a wall of shelves and cupboards in my studio that they can be a hotch potch of sizes too.

I'm not really into symmetry and order!
cecilia

glenn-k

Me neither, Cecilia-- I have to leave that to my wife---- but I think I'm slowly breaking her down. :-/

peg_688

Mantel painted , they decide no over mantel was needed just the antique mirror ,  ceiling is to low and the room to small for any more than is there, IMO.So it's all good  :)

and a church office calander / tack board

VG Fir and purple heart,

Very nice stuff to you all :)

PEG

Amanda_931

It looks like that's all the mantel needed--just the mirror.  Looks very nice.

As for the church bulletin board--if you want to see how nice it looks (it does), do it now, before all the stuff gets posted--sign-up sheets for everything, notices for trips, letters from former members, and so on.  Won't take long.

cecilia

A couple of weeks ago I posted a photo of the new bookcase Jonni was making.

Now he's finished the cupboards that surround the bookcase, and I've just finished oiling it all with good old tung oil.

So thrilled with the end result that I'm showing you a photo of the completed wall - except for the as yet unlined ceiling!

cecilia

bil2054

Lovely, Cecilia! My compliments to you both.

glenn-k

Really nice, Cecilia and Jonni.  Thoreau would be proud.  He preferred the real wood over the plaster he did in his Walden Pond cabin.