Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Verrrry nice!  As Glenn said - we go for the more "rustic" look!   ;)  But it all looks good in our cabin...  And I actually got more shelves & my bathroom looks wonderful - more has been done, I've put up some lace curtains & other stuff - definitely a woman's bath!   :)  

peg_688

Nice work Mtn. Don , you must have slipped this in while I wasn't lookin  :)

BTW I couldn't see/ view the last photo's all is see are the dreaded  Red X's  :(

MountainDon

BTW I couldn't see/ view the last photo's all is see are the dreaded  Red X's  :(

You probably are referring to reply#99 in this thread. ? If so I'm not sure what's up, the bed images came up on my computer. So here's a direct link to each one of the two images

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/djmillerbucket/woodwork%20for%20countryplans/bed02.jpg

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/djmillerbucket/woodwork%20for%20countryplans/bed01.jpg

... and thanks for the kind words

peg_688

This dressers about done , 4 more coats of finish , install draw fronts and decide on draw pulls ,

Maple 5 draw dresser.

Next up might be this lil cabinet,

With these White Pine boards for doors ,

Sort of naturally coopered , been staying stable for 6 months now , at about 8 to 10 MC depending on the day.

The case sides will be these planks ,

The two on the right , the most freckled ones .

The stand will be MTL Redwood , can't find the photo of it right now .

glenn-k

Cool stuff, PEG -- I think you have a lot more patience than I do.  I imagine my nail gun would split that hardwood. :-/ :)

peg_688

I imagine my nail gun would split that hardwood. :-/ :)

Very few nails where used ;) Hoy vey Glenn  ::)

BTW Thanks  :)

Amanda_931

Finding a neat use for the "naturally coopered" sounds like a great idea!

:)

peg_688

Got the draws fronts on , Maple knobs next , then deliever it on Sunday.

Sassy

Beautiful work - can't wait to see it when you have the finish on it...  8-)

peg_688

Sassy it has 4 coats of a water borne spar varnish on it  :-[

Here's the finished dresser , knobs and all:

Sassy

How do you like the water base?  I usually put a high gloss on everything (that's what Glenn likes) & works better for the counter tops - plus it usually darkens the wood a little so I was looking for my amateur look...  :-[

The dresser looks very professional, the finish so smooth - I was looking for a color change from your earlier pics - that's why I asked...  :-/  the natural wood color looks really nice  :) .

MountainDon

I've grown to love the natural tones of the wood more and more. I especially like some of the newer finishes that do not even add the yellow cast that used to be pretty much inevitable.   Sorry, Sassy, I don't like high gloss on anything except my Jeep, but even that isn't usually too shiny anymore... dirt and dust.

peg_688

#1: How do you like the water base?

#2:  I usually put a high gloss on everything (that's what Glenn likes) & works better for the counter tops - plus it usually darkens the wood a little so I was looking for my amateur look...  :-[

#3: The dresser looks very professional, the finish so smooth - I was looking for a color change from your earlier pics - that's why I asked...  :-/  the natural wood color looks really nice  :) .

#1: This finish is nice , flows on good , brush's out nice .  It's Daly's  Sea Fin Aquaspar , I've used Crystalfin before it is super clear , on color at all , which on Maple I don't really like.  Maple is so white that I think , for my tastes , it needs some amber color, the Aquaspar has that. Just a hint of Amber.

#2: I like Satin finishs , Gloss looks to plasticie . As far as durabilty goes the  number of coats is what adds that , IMO. I've done a few doors with gloss varnish , owners request / direction, they look ,ah,  glossie / plasticie , even if you do a nice job , no runs , on marks etc it still looks thick and fake .

#3: Thanks , I'm gettin paid so I guess I'm a professional  ;D The client likes it as well.

And thats the bottom line , eh ;)        

Sassy

I used to like the satin finish better - but with all the logs & wood in our cabin, the gloss offsets & gives a contrasting look.  It's a lot harder to get the finish real smooth... on one of the counters I was working on last fall, I used some verathane that had been opened several month before - I kept putting coats on, sanding them, they just got worse & worse, finally had to sand the stuff off - I guess the "drier" had evaporated... what a mess, had to start over again.  I still have some shelves I need to put more coats on...

In the master bath, I just put "Defy" on, which is supposed to waterproof the wood, doesn't change the finish of the wood but does yellow it...

peg_688

Did you mean Deft?

I've used it , lots of it in fact. Stinks to high heaven , in fact one might think he , or she was in high heaven when using it in confined spaces  ;D

The Aqua Fin is very similar without the smell. Deft might dry a little faster. And sometimes , warm weather that fast drying can be a issue , sort of like using Shellac in a way. The fast / to fast drying way.  

I did use spray Deft on the Maple knobs, on this dresser . I have spray Deft and spraying the knobs seemed to make sense, more sense than brushing them.  

glenn-k

Defy is the log and board water proofer I get from the Log Home Store - 98% water proof and breaths along with being anti-mold and anti fungal -- so I had her put it on the wood tub surround walls it the bath room.. They now have it in clear with some UV protection.  Most has a bit of a stain color for UV protection but this stuff is very mild and safe for indoor use.

peg_688

Oh that stuff, I sort a remember you posting about it . I was under the impression it was a outdoor type finish, of course you do use a chain saw inside and out don't ya Glenn  :o ;D

It might stand up to bathroom use eh ;)  Time will be the judge  8-)

glenn-k

Yep - they mentioned that it could be used inside - It has no sheen - just stops water from getting into the wood.  It's not a finish as much as a protectant, and can be used on damp wood - lets moisture out but no water in -

Leo

Some neat stuff.the kitchen looks similar to something i want to do.I like the whole thing.curtains allow better ventilation.

cecilia

Finally I can join in with a contribution to all the good stuff that's appeared in this section.

Our new bed is finally finished and the story of how it all happened has been added to The Duckpond website.

Here's the direct link to the bed story:-
http://www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond/emerginghouse57.htm

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond
Life's too short to stuff mushrooms!

PEG688

Nicely done  8-) I see John Deere is alive and well in Kiwi land  :)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Very nice work, Cecilia and Jonni.

It is a one of a kind bed. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Nice, and a nice idea.

And a mural to come??

desdawg

I like it. Is that what is being called twig furniture these days?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peg_688

Turned these this week , light side

dark  side ,

Come on what else you folks have ?? :-/ :-/ Some body had to have added something by now  :-/