Started by jb, January 01, 2005, 08:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Help...could someone direct me to a link on mold/mildew my cabin I have found some mold growing on part of a sheet of osb board on the front gable end, on the inside. I am in the later phases of building but haven't slid the windows in yet so climate control is a bit difficult right now. How can I stop this before it gets out of hand ?? I think someone had said that you can spray the affected areas with an ammonia solution or something...


I just found an article on says to spray areas with a bleach solution...FYI...


Yes - bleach, hot water and elbow grease can get most of it. It will come back of course if the moisture and temperature conditions stay right.

That will likely change when things are closed up and heated.


Maybe this would be of use to you.  For logs I have used the impel rods, but I now drill a hole and use the powder.  This wont stop the moisture but may inhibit mold growth.  It disolves in water but will also move through the wood with water so may prevent problems.  It can also be sprayed.  It is effective for fungus, molds and bugs.  You may have to re-apply it at intervals if the problem is continuous - then again the OSB may deteriorate if the problem continues.  Note also that fungi generate strands that go into places where moisture is available and actually draw it into the wood so they can break it down. Separating the fungi from the moisture source   will stop the movement of water into the wood also.  If it is caused  by contact with moisture on the floor, trim some of the board off to give a separation, thereby stopping the transfer of moisture


Been a hot topic on another list.

It sounds like nearly anything--acid (vinegar), colloidal silver seems to be listed by the EPA, Grapefruit Seed Extract--will get rid of surface mold, although those latter two are going to be pretty expensive, unless you're generating your own colloidal silver.  GSE is used huge dilutions, but still....

But those borate sticks sound good for a lot of problems.

Lowering relative humidity, keeping air moving, have been recommended, maybe not what you can do with an unfinished house.

I've been talking to someone who designed his house to put dry, moving air in his CLOSETS to keep his allergies at bay.

He suggested learning if your inside (absolute) humidity is the same as your outside.  If it's more, start asking why--leaks?  

This page will help figure out the connections between moisture and humidity--we found a bunch of pages with these charts--this one seems to be the most accessible--and besides it's readable on my monitor.

Battery operated indoor-outdoor thermometers are going to be much easier than slinging a wet bulb thermometer around.