simple wine rack - idea for a builtin

Started by muldoon, January 03, 2010, 12:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muldoon

I started cleaning the garage today as it seemed like a new year deserved a clean garage and got about halfway when I found some 1x10 lumber I bought last year. I intended to make a wine rack with it but never had the time to get to it because of work. Since I have been off work for the holidays it seemed like a simple enough task to just get it done. I also got to ignore the rest of the garage for a while.

1x10 lumber, the two bases are 14" and the first shelf is 22.75". These base boards are the only boards anchored to the wall. Above the shelf the criss-cross is two boards cut to 31" long, and on each one I measured in 15" from each end of the board to get the center slot for the criss-cross. Again, the top board is 22.75". It's a soft pine cheapy wood, sanded with 100grit, then 220grit paper, then wiped clean and finished with a coat of formbys antique finish. (it's an oil stain, I think its mostly tung oil by the way it works in and sets up - it has a hint of color but nothing drastic) Very simple design overall, fit into the nook in the bar I already have and was finished start to stop and about 4 hours.. and that includes drying time.

It's cool to have all the materials and tools to just do an impromptu project like this without any visit to the store for anything.

Ernest T. Bass

Cool how it's self-supporting.. Did you come up with the design yourself?

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

muldoon

Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on January 03, 2010, 11:40:02 PM
Cool how it's self-supporting.. Did you come up with the design yourself?

I cannot take complete credit for the idea.  I have seen some cross style wine racks in the past, a google search tonight yielded this that looks vaguely familiar.
http://wine.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1090713&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=44#post1766842

and this one from the same link

and another cool one from http://lumberjocks.com/projects/19539

I saw some using this basic idea of using the X cross for wine a few months ago on the internet and that was when I bought the lumber.  I did not sketch out a plan or anything other than buying 4 1x10x48" pieces of scrappy dented pine on sale.  When I started yesterday I pretty much went one level at a time, from th base to the shelf to the X to the top.  I didn't work it out on paper before hand and I didn't go to the internet looking for plans, I just winged it as the niche/bar area I have is very specific in what I can work with for dimensions, I just made do with what I had and a general idea.  It seems to work out so far.  

river place

You keep wine long enough to put it in a rack? 

muldoon

Quote from: river place on January 05, 2010, 10:03:23 PM
You keep wine long enough to put it in a rack? 

absolutely.  I make my own beer, wine and mead.  or really my wife and I make the wine part together.  In back back bedroom (which doubles as a pantry) right now I have nearly 35 gallons of just wine in different stages of fermentation.  (close to 80 gallons if you count everything being fermented now) each 5 gallon batch being roughly 25 750milliliter bottle for wine or 48 or so 12 ounce bottles for beer.  It's nothing strange at all to have between 50 and 100 bottles of wine in a bottled and aged but unconsumed state.  I have shelf space in the brewery area, but this was to put a space up front for easier access to a couple bottles. 

river place

I was just kidding about keeping wine long enough for a rack.

We have a purchased one made of wood but have been thinking about building one from steel as I have a small mig welder.

Nice to hear you make your own wine.  I've found several vines on our place in AR this fall and I hope to clear the saw briars so they can grow.  Not sure of the type and age of vines but should be interesting what will happen if they're given a bit of care.

considerations

I planted one grape vine in 2009.  I'm hoping for a crop in 2010, even if its just for eating it would be a real treat.