High Altitude Build- anyone?

Started by intelijoc, December 09, 2009, 08:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelijoc

Hello:

Has anyone done a high altitude build- above 9,000ft?

NM_Shooter

The front gate of my ranch is at 9990'.  My build site is ~50 feet above that point.  My GPS has it averaged out at about 10040.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4782.0

also...

www.blokranch.com

Short building season  :-(
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

I've worked on maybe 20 above 9000'.

intelijoc

Ok- discovered early on-from the county's building department- that the windspeed rating and the snowload "building code requirements?" are a tad bit different in that altitiude is around 10,000ft. 

NM_Shooter

Code?  I ain't got no stinkin' code.  

I called the county before I started building and asked about the snow load issue.  They said that they did not have a number for me at my location.  

Great.

-f-

My neighbor went in on a sled.  Here he is standing on his porch:

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

intelijoc

I hear yah- I think the wind speed issue requires a modification of the truss.  With that in mind the question I am kicking around in the old noodle is whether I need a separate outbuilding for vehicles.

Dave Sparks

I think you need vehicles enclosed at 3,000 feet. Most of my neighbors think the garage is for houseguests...........
"we go where the power lines don't"

intelijoc

Sparks- that was the next area; garage or other outbuilding for vehicles-or it was rattling around in my head.  But not to move too far ahead.

The Broad Strokes
I purchased this 1 acre spot in the mid 90's and love everything about the location in Colorado.
I have a chunk of time off in the summer months about nine weeks and since this land is a few hours by plane I would like to get as much done in this block of time as possible.  Why not drive my 4x4 Fullsize Ford Bronco 1800+ miles out there- hmm?

I have a well permit. I had a drilling company site the well, give me an estimated price-wow$!
Well, septic and driveway I want to leave to professionals. Unless someone can reasonably convince me otherwise.

Rough idea of the dwelling:  The way I am approaching the concept of what to build centers around the idea that I want my family- 3yr old to grow up having spent time here.
So, we are currently a family of three.  I would use the place in the summer and maybe do a early winter or late spring trip.  I have visited this place in early April and the snow was to the top of the road sign- sorry, no pic.

Maybe a 16X24 with loft?

How Much can I Realistically Build?
By this I mean, I do not want to start some component of the project, leave it unfinished, head back and think about the undone project.

These are some of the initial questions and thoughts regarding the "dream"

Thanks

MountainDon

Quote from: Dave Sparks on December 14, 2009, 09:53:43 AM
I think you need vehicles enclosed at 3,000 feet.

I've never run into that before. Could that be a local requirement?  

I do understand one would be useful in snow country, but back home in Manitoba I never had a garage. I used a sheet over the windshield when I parked so I wouldn't have to scrape the windshield though. And a block heater.  :D  Folks here in NM have no idea what those are. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

intelijoc

All I know about my place is that "some" of the sections have joined togehter to form a quasi homeowner group.  My section is currently not.  I found out that the nominal fee or 62$ per year was pooled from 8-10 sections for payment to a gentleman for snow removal off the mountain road.  The county only maintains the road County Rd____ up to the base of the mountain, Then it's everyman for himself.

;D

Dave Sparks

Quote from: MountainDon on December 15, 2009, 03:21:13 PM
Quote from: Dave Sparks on December 14, 2009, 09:53:43 AM
I think you need vehicles enclosed at 3,000 feet.

I've never run into that before. Could that be a local requirement?  

Don, it is extremely local to me! I know folks do all kinds of things like my grandfather did but they don't have to! I get up to the high country for a few of my "buddies" and there just is unneeded wear and "issues" with leaving vehicles out! Nuff said.

I think Intelijoc should also consider a carriage house design! Maybe Sir John Raabe has some designs tucked away.  When we were building we could not find any that were expandable. We ended up with a big rectangle that is uh, not eyecandy. It is sort of the big box that now needs things done to the outside to make it purdy. It is a fort as my brother-in-law says.

It is a carriage house for sure, all the living upstairs and a 1700 square foot man cave or guy bunker below. I think the same thing could be done smaller but with planned extensions or add-ons. Living on the second floor gives you all the target angles and is really easy to heat. It is a challenge to keep cool but your vehicle is safe and sound!

Hope this helps you! I think you can get to pictures of it from here! Good Luck!
"we go where the power lines don't"

intelijoc

The idea of separate outbuildings for vehicles (toys) and say also for a storage shed wasn't a code requirement idea but rather something another DIYer completed, i read about and was "thinking outloud about" . Reasons were that multiple smaller building were easier for permits-if any- and taxes.. i was just kicking the idea around
I understand the carriage house with upstairs living and vehicle storage below.

I am glad I did not jump into this project back 2004-5. I was crazed and intoxicated with extra cash and looking back now,  know I was bound to make major mistakes in the following areas: site design and functionality.

BTW I just finished readin ALL of the DogTrot (?) Scott A's information- nice.