24x32 1.5 story off-grid cabin in West Michigan

Started by PorkChopsMmm, December 21, 2011, 09:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkChopsMmm

Thats for the help, guys. I spoke with the County permit office and they said to contact my township inspectors (things are done at the township level when possible), but they also said that they don't issue fines. That you would pay the permit fee and have a final inspection. I am going to contact the township building inspector (anonymously) and see how it goes. I think it would help that I have pictures of all of the work before the insulation was put up and the T&G/drywall installed. I also have an exposed area in the pantry where I can show them my work, if it helps, too.

PorkChopsMmm

Small update -- we moved into the cabin 2 weeks ago and are getting settled. I have put off the permit process until we get a few more things figured out. I did speak with a local attorney and he suggested using him as a conduit (of course for a price!) for communicating with the inspectors. If they wanted us to move out, tear the place down, etc. you can file suit and halt the process, so that has put my mind at ease for the time being. My plan is to gather/create all of the plans, schematics, etc. for the build and put them in a binder and ordered as they appear in the code book. That way I can try to address and alleviate their concerns and hopefully limit the taking apart the interior or exterior to prove construction methods.

EaglesSJ

What a shame that you have to go through all that trouble. Im so thankful that I built mine where I did. Only thing the county has done is come out and look at the place to determine how much property tax I should pay.

Apart from that your place is looking sharp. The property is beautiful although I think my favorite feature is the wood stove. Very cozy. What is your end game plan on your PV setup?

BenB

Really dig what you have created - any end result on the permit issue yet?

What computer program did you use to do the plan mods you show waaaaay up near top of thread anyway?

We may be neighbors almost .... I have plans to build near the Porkies, or south of them. Just love the area but need to get a couple of nice snowmobiles to make it thru the 30' of snow. lol