New guy here

Started by Jens, June 09, 2005, 11:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

Hey all.  Found this website and forum a few days ago, and dig it man.  I'll tell you a little bit about myself.  My name is Jens, I am 25, married with three kids (6b, 4g, 2g).  I was born and raised in Santa Cruz, CA, met my wife there, left there 2 years ago for Klamath Falls, OR.  Bought a house with two lots.  2bed 1bath, built 1927, didn't have much style.  Over the last four months I have been blowing throught the whole thing.  It is now a cute little crafstman cottage, with a few modern touches.  arches, plastered hood, laminate flooring (origional hardwood painted, then lenoliumed over).  Not quite done with all that, will be painting inside today.  I have had about 7 mo total experience as a professional carpenter, and been building all manner of things, from skateboards to cars since I was a kid.  I have done everything in this house myself; electrical, plumbing, insulation, sheetrock, mud, all painting, and exterior shakes.  When the house is sold next month, should be able to come out with a $50k profit!  Have spent about $4500 on the house and are almost done.  When we sell, I may get my contractors license and build a house on our extra lot for resale.  Unfortunately that will mean building a house twice as large as I would if we were living in it (about 2000sq).  I am considering doing that a few more times, but we really want to get acreage, and homestead.  Want to build cob if possible.  If we could have the homestead paid off all the way, and no car payment or credit cards, we could actually live off of $700 a month, which isn't quite enough right now (I know that everybody has their own level of means for living, and don't have a problem with people who make more, only those who senslessly spend money, and then complain about being broke).  Then I could be semi retired!  I have dreams of building small cottages as a contractor.  Also of a small house community.  Maybe gated, no house over 1100 sq.  Another thing I would like to do, is work construction for people, but teach them how to do the work at the same time.  I believe that anyone can do this stuff, if they can just think about it the right way.  Once I get some photos taken of this house I will post them.

Glad to be a part of the group, Cheers,
Jens
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

Far out!, Jens. ;D Welcome to the Forum.  I'm originally from Oregon, West and East  of Salem.  I spent a few years long haul trucking and always enjoyed the K-Falls area.  You have some areas there that use geo-thermal heating too.

Some people don't get it and never will- some people try, work at it, and eventually get it.  Sounds like you get it and are doing well with it.

Are you familiar with Becky Bee's Cob Builders Handbook ???  They are doing a lot with cob around Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Looking forward to hearing more from you as you progress.   :)

Also, as a side note - You are near the Lava Tubes Monument - check it out if you haven't already.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

Quote I have dreams of building small cottages as a contractor.  Also of a small house community.  Maybe gated, no house over 1100 sq.  

Is there such a thing as this already?  This is a fascinating idea to me!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Jens

Anyone want to donate some land, and start a fundraiser to get it going? ;D
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Greenbank

There are a couple of cottage developments around here, but they're kinda high end stuff for small houses. That's OK, it's nice to have alternatives, whatever the price, but nothing that is low-end small housing.
A fool and his money are soon elected.

John Raabe

My friend and old business partner Ross Chapin has done some very nice cottage developments in several areas of Western Washington.

These are high end and sometimes a bit more decorated than they would have to be, but they are very popular and all the projects he and the Cottage Company (the builder arm) have done have been well received.

This is a leading edge development and where things are headed — smaller houses, more community and more sensitive use of land.

Explore the "pocket neighborhoods" here:
http://www.rosschapin.com/Projects/projects.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Daddymem

The answer isn't always smaller either.  There is a great developement in Amherst, Massachusetts called Pulpit Hill.  The houses are more on the larger size (no McMansion) but many units are shared between 2 or 3 families (many college student rent out basements).  They have a coop garden and a huge main building.  I used to sling pizzas and delivered to them several times when the adults were having a large common meal in the main building dining room while a few adults were in charge of the kiddos in an adjacent play room.  I noticed there were task boards where people had a night to cook or clean for the others at their common meal.  The gravel parking area is away from the houses and everyone had a garden cart to bring their items home.  The houses are very pleasant looking and the people, well they aren't your typical run of the mill type of people...this is cohousing after all so they are all very very friendly.  This kind of developement takes up a lot less space than a cluster of small cottages would (75% open space in the case of Pulpit Hill).  This kind of developement also attract year round living not, seasonal second home living which many of the pocket style neighborhoods attract.

http://www.krausfitch.com/downloads/sheets.pdf
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Jens

As far as attracting full timers, there would have to be criteria to be selected for these homes (in my vision).  Not necessarily poor people, but they should be eligable too.  Don't know what the rules would be, but it would be nice to have the houses available for people of all classes.  Also, (I know, I know, you never start a new sentance with also) the houses would have to be quite affordable.  Remember, this is an idea for something to do when I am semi-retired (read that, things are paid in full so we don't require that much to live on), and not something to necessarily get rich on.  Remember, my family and I moved from CA because in our home town you have to be wealthy to own a house.  I also think that there should be a nationwide law, that if your house never leaves the family (unless given to the Government), you can build whatever in the world you want, without permits (so long as you are willing to take responsiblilty if anyone is injured by your structure).  Then maybe we would have fewer homeless, because they can just put together some sticks and mud, or mud and mud, or bales, and poof!  There is a house there!  Maybe that is all way too progressive!  Anyway...to get back to the topic of cottages.  I have some ideas already.  One of the streets should definately be named "Bungalow Row".  BTW...in my bio above, there is something I need to edit.  Just found out that in 8 months I will be married with 4 kids!  Guess I need to hurry up on a house, huh? ;D

jonsey/downunder

Hi to you Jens,
You may be interested in this link, It's a guy doing pretty much what you are talking about. I think he is also interested in hooking up with like minded folk. It may be worth a look.
jonesy.

http://www.phoenixcommotion.com/mission.html
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.