vojacek update with pics

Started by vojacek, June 02, 2005, 11:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vojacek

gettin close....here r some pics from the past week

Bart_Cubbins

Starting to look like a real house!!

One question...

With the lack of tall scaffolding/ladders on the outside, plus the gap in the sheathing at the ridge, it looks like you might have built the roof from the inside. Did you nail on the sheathing and roll on the felt while working from the attic deck?? Were there any particular problems with that approach?

thanks

jraabe

Nice work!

Attics like that do beg to be converted into living space. But where do you stop? and then what do you do for storage?

Maybe we just put in a couple of 2' wide skylights that fit between the rafters. Then we'll stop, I promise ;D

vojacek

we are putting a metal roof on and will have to rent scaffolding at that point. our main objective was to make it waterproof. the roof will be re nailed  and sheathing finished once we get the scaffolding up. no problems doing it this way except the danger!!! :o my husband scares me to death so i try to not watch when he is up there being held by his feet!!. ;D. i always tell him the house is only good if we live in it together.

vojacek

we actually thought of putting living space in the attic via spiral staircase, but with this texas heat, we need all the insulating we can get!!! and the attic would cost a fortune to try to cool 9months out of the year.

Daddymem

Wow..you guys are fast!  Can we hire you to do ours? ;D

Okie_Bob

Looking really good!! One comment I'd like to make is that when doing the same thing I put the sheathing on in mid June and didn't get around to putting on the siding until Sept...due to time spent putting up the roof, etc.
When I got back to the siding,the plywood had warped so bad it had actually pulled some of the studs way out of line and the walls looked like a snake! Course the plywood had three months of hot Texas sun drying them out, a couple of rains and more sun.
Stronly recommend you get something on top of the plywood as quckly as possible. It's not a lot of fun pulling plywood off and replacing! Not to mention the extra cost for nothing.

vojacek

thanks for the tip. we are trying to get everything done as quickly as possible. thinking of taking some vacation time and finishing the hardi all at once....what part of texas r u ?

Okie_Bob

Our lake place is on Cedar Creek Lake, about 60 miles SE of Dallas but, we live in Bedford (next to DFW Airport) during the week.
Love to have you visit if you get up this way!
I can show you the garage I built with Hardi Board siding. When were you planning your trip?
Okie Bob