Cost

Started by uonlyliveonce, September 08, 2011, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uonlyliveonce

I am just starting my search for a log cabin plan. Most info I find seems to be just on the materials/shell to build. Thats fine but can someone give me an approximate cost to build. By a contractor. Is there an avg formula to use? Say my pkg costs 50k? Is that enough info?

rick91351

Around here before the bust, labor was almost figured at double.  So your 50K turned in to 100K depending on sweat equity    Now you would think things would come down.  People needing work and all that.  Do not hold your breath.   There are not as many people in the trades true.  However they are not working for nothing.

What does the kit come with, and grade of windows, doors and roofing?  Do not get trapped in the 50K that is for this grade but you need these up grades in engineering to build where you are.  (My location 120 pound snow load and very high winter winds.)  So your 50K is now jumped up 70K.  Can you get cement where you are at a good rate?  Some locations permitting has huge fees like northern Ca.  You are looking at eight to ten K for a septic system and about the same for a well.  Off grid or on?  How much road work and excavation is needed?  I am hearing from a engineer we have used more and more locations energy audits and engineering is being required and they will dictate window and doors and isolation requirements.  Our engineer told us this will run a home owner an additional $1000.        

I would look around your area and see if I could locate a contractor that has put these kits up before.  Or call the kit company and see if they know anyone that has experience in your area.  There are too many variables  

That is just my take on your question.....  
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

Location is the start of the largest variable.  It will affect permitting to labor.  As rick said, California is going to have a lot different prices than Alabama.

Each part of the equation you take over saves money.  Are you looking for one general contractor to do the whole thing, or are you willing to be the general contractor and hire subcontractors for each part of the job?  What does the "kit" include? Some kits will not pass building codes, usually energy codes depending on the size of the logs.  Then you would have to frame an interior wall for insulation.  Some kits this included, many it is not.

Log cabin plans are difficult to find because most houses (95%) are stick built.  The log cabins that I have seen built were usually by a builder who is also the designer.  Also you run into the variability in logs.