Question about piers for my work tomorrow....

Started by NM_Shooter, October 24, 2008, 05:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I'm going to try and get the simpson clips set into the tops of my piers this weekend.  I am using the CB66 clips... the big galvanized "U" shaped clips.

Do I set these so that the beams sit on the piers, or do the clips support the entire weight such that the beams are up off of the piers by a little bit of daylight?

Thanks...

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Woodswalker

If I were doing it, I'd place the beams directly on top of the posts, and use a "T"-shaped metal brackets on each side to keep them there.  Suspect Don, PEG, and others here will weigh-in on the issue.

NM_Shooter

I should clarify...

I built up piers out of cinder block pilasters and filled them with concrete and rebar.  Tomorrow I place the clips and concrete them in place.  I'm trying to figure out if it is okay to set the beams above the pilaster piers by a few inches, or if I should place the clips further down in the piers so the beams rest on the top of the top pilaster....

PEG688

I did a thread on setting CB -66's but I can't find it :-[

Here's some photos ,

I like the plate just above the mud, you could go the the Simpson site and see if they are specific about that.

But for what you're doing I'd say just like my photos would be strongest. 

The key thing is to not a get one set so high in relation to the others that the beam would need notched , a short post would be better that a notched beam as the beam would then have the value ( span / strenght ) of what ever was LEFT after the notch. 

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

On the short post thing,  I have used the 3x3" bearing plates as shims before under the post / wood and on top of the CB steel plate.  They are about 3/16" thick. Makes a solid shim.  Of course use ZMAX plates if ACQ lumber is in play.

NM_Shooter

PEG688

Si!

Here's the Simpson site photo,

I'd say thats how they'd like to see them as well.

Notes from Simpson ,

Use all specified fasteners. See General Notes.

For full loads, minimum side cover required is 3" for CB, 2" for LCB.

Install either nails or bolts. See General Notes, note d.

Install all models with bottom of base plate flush with concrete.

I see they got that right  ::)   d*   rofl

apaknad

i don't know if i ever mentioned it but i went to the simpson website and asked for some free info and 1&1/2 weeks later got this big package from brown w/ a ton of stuff. way more than i have read yet. very nice info. [cool]
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

I think the CB66 thread may have been part of another, PEG but haven't found it yet either.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 25, 2008, 09:40:52 AM

I think the CB66 thread may have been part of another, PEG but haven't found it yet either.

I thought I had made it it's own thread , so I looked at my past posts but never found it. Maybe Mtn D will remember where I put it when he gets back from this place. I assume he's up working on it this weekend.

Thanks for looking Glenn.

glenn kangiser

No problem, PEG.  Maybe more search on my part could find it, but I have a surprise guest of honor coming this weekend and am really short on time.  We will get some pix up as things work out - we hope. :)

(Another great Countryplans member gets to meet the Crazy Troglodyte and his wonderful tolerant wife. ::) ).  You know the routine. rofl 

You've been there and done that, eh? :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on October 25, 2008, 10:01:57 AM

I thought I had made it it's own thread , so I looked at my past posts but never found it. Maybe Mtn D will remember where I put it when he gets back from this place. I assume he's up working on it this weekend.

TA-DA!!!

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3403.0

You're welcome.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Thanks Mtn D ,  :)  you'd think the search thingie would find CB66 brackets , without the word "setting" in front of it ::)

MountainDon

I tried search for CB66 and CB 66 but nothing came up.  ???  I had saved it in my "notify" list though and found it there.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Thanks for the help folks...

I got four of the clips put in place on my high rise piers  :-\

Ran out of redi-mix.  Am hoping weather holds one more week so I can go up again on Saturday to finish the clips. 

I got the front gate fixed, 4 Simpson clips in place, 700 fish put in the pond, and some of the road cleared.  Not bad for 6 hours of work. 

I'm building a time of day camera to bring up there.  I hacked apart an old digital camera, and found an old CPLD demo board that I was able to program a timer into.  I put together a simple interface to the camera.  Final electrical assembly tomorrow, and then installation into an ammo box.  The camera wakes up every day at noon, takes a picture, and goes back to sleep.  That's the plan; don't know how well the batteries will hold up in sub zero weather.  I'll know in the spring!

-f-

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on October 27, 2008, 10:48:18 PM
don't know how well the batteries will hold up in sub zero weather.  I'll know in the spring!

-f-

Try the Lithium. Excellent cold weather performance as compared to alkaline. At least they work well in my weather system up there in the Jemez

Okie_Bob

Ok Glenn, who's the guest? Curious minds inquire!
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

Hey BoB-- It's in the Underground Cabin Update.  It was muldoon.  Check it out.