OVE & Stack Framing

Started by georgevacabin, September 08, 2007, 05:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

I watched the video , it's a lot of smoke and mirrors. Sure it could be done , but it would be a very ridged floor plan, you'd never be able to move  a floor joist to miss a toilet so the joist location would drive the toilet placement. Windows and doors would have to be placed and sized  per stud layout.

Almost everyone frames with 2x6's these days for the R value the stud bay will allow. 24 " OC walls tend to be wavy inside you can use 5/8" GWB to help with that.

My .02 is that it's a passing phase like the " super insulated " phase back in the early 90's . Sure those houses where tight , they also where toxic to live in.

But yes it could be done that way. Would it save money , maybe ? I'd questions a house longevity built that way, it would be a real bitch to remodel due to a "odd" type of const. methord.

I'd also think it would "feel" whimpy / light weight , as in rattle when cars drive by , like a real house rattles when a dozer rolls by close to a wall, only this would be a car out on the street, it would lack  the mass that calms that down.

I would never build that way , I'd never contract to build for some one that way , it's just not the way I like to build. YMMV and it may be just right for you. When / if you go to sell it could work either way , some may not care , some may embrace the precieved "green " part of it ,  some may run away!  

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I've only watched HGTV a few  times but usually I wasn't impressed.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

OVE stacked framing is not a good choice for an owner builder. It is somewhat unforgiving of unplanned changes and best done in production housing where minimum material usage and maximum framer efficiency is the goal. It will save some energy and is greener than standard framing since it uses less wood.

All the problems PEG mentions have solutions for those willing to do some research. There are most definitely conscientious builders doing a good job on this type of house.

For high-efficiency OVE buildings to work as designed you have to do all the parts right. The Superinsulated houses of the 90's were usually fine [highlight]IF[/highlight] the builder didn't cheap out on the ventilation and moisture control systems. Sealing a house without providing proper ventilation can cause problems in many climates.

I suggest 2x6 framing with double top plates, three stud corners and either 16" or 24" stud spacing. If you do 24" spacing you will save energy and framing lumber, but you have to go to heavier materials to span the wider stud bay. Don't do 1/2" drywall and then complain about cheap construction.

The advantage of standard construction is you don't have to think too much because all the products you will use are expecting to have just what you are building. Stepping away from this means you have to do your homework.

This is the reason good builders (like PEG  ;)) usually choose the conservative side of the line. Especially when you're doing work for others, it is far better to use a bit more material and take a bit longer to do it right than to get a call-back from a dissatisfied customer.

None of us are as smart as all of us.