New Years Resolution

Started by MountainDon, January 03, 2008, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I am not a New Years Resolution kind of a guy as a rule. However, this year I was spurred into action my the imminent demise of one of our computers. I made the rash decision to overhaul the home office desks and computers. I'm a couple hours into so far this morning. Progressing nicely, albeit more slowly than anticipated.

There has been a tangle of cables of many varied types building for many years... 7 at least, probably more  ???  They seem to have been tangled forever. When some peripheral changed it was commonplace for me to give up trying to extricate the cables, move the desks etc, so I'd leave the cable and add whatever was necessary for the new stuff.

I've pulled old parallel printer cables, a Zip drive power cable [Zip drive?], power supply cables I don't remember what they ever powered, an old Ethernet cable with a broken plastic lock, audio cables from some lost project, an output adapter to connect to a VCR audio/video.... lots of old unused stuff. Now I understand better why I've run short on power outlets!  :-[ 

But it feels good.  :)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Drew

My home office looked like the bridge of the Enterprise.  I had three boxes and a laptop running off a KVM and other ones running around the house 24x7.  Everyone had a machine on the home network except me.  I had 4.  Or 5.  I can't remember.  Then a bolt of lightning knocked me off my horse and I heard a voice that said, "What are you, some kind of idiot?"

I started turning off boxes and two things happened.  1.) The PG&E bill dropped like a rock, and 2.) I was no longer spending Saturdays on "system maintenance".  While I *like* messing with my machines, I don't like fixing them on their schedule instead of mine.

So I hear you, MountianDon, about simplifying the fire hazard behind the desk.  And if I ever get lonely for running a bunch of boxes at once, I just fire up VMWare and fix virtual desktops.  It's a lot cheaper and I can spend the money on wood!

I'm getting ready to go off to the Y for a swim.  I expect the place will be packed with the new year people who I call the "Resolutionary Army".  Rather smug today, aren't we Drew?  ::)

glenn kangiser

My little batches of wires look like little Magpie nests.

Very fitting for the underground complex.  Why would I want to touch that? hmm

...actually I dare not except in case of a non-functioning component.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

to get the land in Maine is my resolution...Other than that maybe grow the business a little more so I can hire a full time employee

not a huge resolution guy either

Sassy

rofl MtnDon, I always see you as so organized rofl  You should see our big rats' nest - I don't even go near it to clean  [scared] & especially don't stick my hand down there - don't know what critters I'm gonna find - except to turn the master switch on & off.  Now Glenn can say "See, Don did the same thing"  :-\   Glenn posted a good pic of it...  rofl
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

In the interest of KEEPING my New Year's Resolution this year, I decided on a sure thing.  Have a baby before the end of May.   ;D

MountainDon

Sassy, the office appeared to be organized nicely. Appearances can be deceiving though. Sorry to tarnish the image you had; but you'd likely feel at home with my garage.  rofl   [scared]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

rofl  but you haven't seen Glenn's shop in the valley or the back 5 acres or his 30'x40' shop at the underground headquarters...  I used to try to keep the 40'x70' shop in the valley cleaned up but finally gave up & I've cleaned up this one several times (at least what I could lift or move) Plus he has another 60 acres up here for equipment...

He should complain... I only have one closet!   d*

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I don't like subliminal messages.  I bought her a whole set of tools. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Don, my Mother was an old line school teacher and came from a very proper Virginia family. I only heard her use profanity once in my life.

When I was 12, long before anyone thought about inventing computers, I started building HAM radios. Great hobby.

She walked in my room one day, looked around and said "Look at all the damn wires" :o

Imagine what my computer looks like. [shocked]
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

benevolance

the profanity was the word damn.... damn

i say that in church... then again I was raised in the woods d*

MountainDon

Peter(nap). Are you still a "ham" radio guy. I was, guess still am, but have been radioless for a few years.  :-\

desdawg

I resolved that 2008 should be better than 2007. I think all I have to do is sit and watch.  c*
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Drew

I make my resolutions in July on my birthday.  That way I avoid the lines.

peternap

Peter(nap). Are you still a "ham" radio guy. I was, guess still am, but have been radioless for a few years.

I still play with them some Don, but not nearly as much as I used to.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!