What is the cheapest floor system, 24.1ft x 12.5ft

Started by Gaby_64, August 09, 2014, 10:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaby_64

The floor will be sitting on a jack post in each corner, completely independent of anything else.

What is the cheapest floor system that i should go with, intended use is for hydroponic grow beds and a workshop underneath, so i would like to have the ability to hang 1tn

Currently considering open web joists, 16" depth, 1 on each 12.5ft sides and 12" spacing for the ones ontop along the the 24.1ft side.
those cost me 5.5$/ft, so 1394.25$ total floor system cost

can i get away with a cheaper option?

flyingvan

Find what you love and let it kill you.

Don_P

Hydroponics... high humidity/wet service? I don't think TJI's or even wood is appropriate. If fertilizer spills are in the picture slab on grade with a seperate workshop might be a better plan. How much do the beds weigh? Where is the hanging ton located? Are there other loads, walls, roof? The 12.5" girder joists are carrying the 24' joists, they are not a common joist. What are you growing?

rick91351

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon.  Plus the weight of the plants and equipment be it pot or tomatoes.  Plumbing and inputs - fertilizers and water treatment.  Lighting and fans - electrical and boxes.  Looks like to me one should be looking at a slab on grade.  I sure would not be looking at a workshop below with tools and equipment sitting in an environment that could flood at any moment due to pump or equipment failure be it be from mice chewing or a pipe failing. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gaby_64

i should add that it is an extension of an aquaponic system, there will only be grow beds, the area is highly ventilated so humidity should be low
flooring over the floor solution could be waterproof
there are no other loads
the hanged load will be arranged to draw support from above the floor distributed to all the spaced joists, most likely at the center, a winch will be setup to be able to lift things

total load would be around 5000lbs

i do not have pricing on other systems except the open webbed joists, 14" depth 4.5$/ft and 16" depth 5.5$/ft

Don_P

People ask me why I drive a 56 Ford Deluxe.

Doing a little math;
24.1 x 12.5= 301.25 square feet.
A typical residential floor design load is 40 psf live load + 10 psf dead load... 50 lbs per square foot
301.25 sf x 50 psf =15,062.5 pounds

You've got 5,000 lbs + 2,000 lbs point load that will act like 4,000 lbs uniform, so 9,000 lbs LL +3,000 lbs DL = 12,000 lbs. You should be within residential design. The truss supplier should be able to design the floor system and end girders as a residential type floor if your numbers are good.  If you can put in another pair of posts midway along the 24' span and break it in half with a girder the hoist can hang from that girder and the joists could be 2x10's on 16" centers.

MushCreek

I'm curious about the odd sizes. Building materials are 4' wide, so being slightly over multiples of 4' is wasteful. Further, typical floor sheathing like Advantech only yields 47.5" due to the tongue and groove (a pet peeve of mine!). Just curious....
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Gaby_64

Quote from: MushCreek on August 12, 2014, 06:27:01 AM
I'm curious about the odd sizes. Building materials are 4' wide, so being slightly over multiples of 4' is wasteful. Further, typical floor sheathing like Advantech only yields 47.5" due to the tongue and groove (a pet peeve of mine!). Just curious....

limited by the space of a half section of a 40.6ft geodesic dome