Table saw reccomendations??

Started by Crappie Slayer, October 07, 2011, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappie Slayer

I need a good table saw for finishing up my cabin.  I am thinking of going with the dewalt job site saw,,, its like 350 at the major box stores.  Any reccomendations... as always any imput is always greatly appreciated.

Chris

Ernest T. Bass

Don't have too much experience with different saws, but we got a Bosch that came with a folding stand on wheels after burning out our Ryobi. The Bosch was very inexpensive and has held up great. Super portable, too. Not real high-precision, but plenty accurate enough for the average carpenter.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

rick91351

I would never by new right now.  Got any used tool stores near by?  Craigslist?  Table saws are an item I see all the time that some one buys because they are going to do some major remodel or build.  If or when they get it done it just sits in the shop or garage and never used again.  Pretty easy to see how hard they have been used.  There are some very good articles on the net on buying a used saw.

I just bought a second hand one from my buddy who used it it to build his son's house.  He bought it from a molding distributor.   I think I gave $130 for it.  It is a 10" Rigid on legs and two wings and a heck of a good fence.  It runs straight and true. (I put my dial indicator on it.)  My buddy even threw in a new saw blade.  I took it up to the ranch to finish the shop.  Worked great!     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Alan Gage

I've never had much luck buying used power tools. At least around here there aren't many for sale. Trying to buy on places like Ebay it's sometimes cheaper to buy new. I'm surprised how much they can hold their value. I haven't checked in a few years though so maybe that's changed.

I had the larger Dewalt portable saw a few years ago and loved it. Sold it when I sold the house and everything else to travel for a while. I looked at getting another one before starting my build this spring but decided instead to borrow my dad's crappy little $100 Craftsman and to upgrade later if I found I needed it. So far that cheap saw has done everything I've needed it to.

Do you know what you're main use for it will be (sheet goods, ripping boards, cutting dados, etc)?

Alan

dug

I also got the crappy $100 craftsman saw because it was all I could afford at the time. I had intended to buy a nicer one whenever it gave up the ghost but 10 years later I am still using it. Like Alan said, it has done everything I have asked of it reasonably well. Maybe I'll change my mind when I start doing more finish work.

rick91351

Just read that Saw Stop will most likely be required on all saws because of a tabesaw verdict because a an idiot decided to cut a piece of flooring with out a fence and got his hand in the blade.  Excuse me but yes I did call him and idiot.  I would also call myself an idiot to do anything around a power tool I know better to do and yet do it.  Do I ever YES I DO!  I am an idiot and guilty.  But I would never say, 'Sorry judge but I was in a hurry I did not take time to be safe so protect me from myself.'  There we got that out of the way.    

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/41527/appeals-court-upholds-osorio-tablesaw-verdict-feds-consider-landmark-safety-standard/?&lookup=auto&V18=&V19=&V20=&V21=&V22=&V23=&V24=&V25=&V26=&V53=&V54=&Taun_Per_Flag=true&utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=20111008-tablesaw-verdict&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking

But this ruling will cause more than likely a some where between $60 and $100 additional cost.  Now with saw stop technology if you trigger it will cause you to have to replace your blade and the stop mechanism.  So there is more cost if you trigger it.  That would be better than the alternative.  Can I go before the court then and ask to be reimbursed for that as well?  Yet I am certainly not going to say quick run out and buy a table saw now.  Just be aware if planing to do so there is a price increase in the works.        
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

PEG688

The DeWalt ten inch is a good job site saw, spring for the stand and make a couple of horses you can set up for a outfeed table , use 3/4" ply for the table top.

Back in the day when Makita sold the 8 1/4" saw it was the best thing around , and IF it was still available I'd say get it. It had enough power and worked pretty well for a site saw . It was lighter in weight and a little smaller in size so for a guy like me who has to have a Mobile shop in a pickup truck it was a better choice.  With the Reaossous (sp) stand it was  hard combo to beat if you need to pack up and move often.

There's a few reasons I like the Dewalt over the Bosch , mainly the fence system and how the fence can be jigged up off for different cuts a guy runs into making.  Both saws have adequate power, as does the ten inch Makita.

You might shop Craig's  list , I'd forget the hock shops route as those saws generally are hammered and more than likely stolen , and the shop wants to make money on them as well , so it's hard to save much money after all that on a  saw that cost new under $500.00 bucks.   

New or lightly used by a home owner of Craig's list would be the better options.

G/L PEG 

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .