Custom plaining and two more bunks of boards.

Started by rick91351, July 21, 2011, 08:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

I had a unit of sixteen foot pine boards stickered that are now dry.  I broke that down and took that up and re-piled it close shop to start working it up.  Then at the lumber yard the other day the owner a good friend of mine told me of a guy that has a good sized industrial type plainer set up near us and is doing some custom plaining.  I need to talk to him, that would be a lot quicker than mine.  Any idea as far as what a fair price would be? 

After I was done re-piling that.  I went up and got a big load of mostly fourteen foot, some twelve foot boards we had saw milled from timber on the place.  They are now down here in the valley.  My grandson and I stickered them and they are drying now.  That is one thing nice about our lack of humidity and summer rains.  Boards do dry very well here like this.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Cool :)  I like the tarp roof.  I'll have to do something like that.

Turkeyhunter

Pine Cone

Quote from: rick91351 on July 21, 2011, 08:47:09 AM
I had a unit of sixteen foot pine boards stickered that are now dry.  I broke that down and took that up and re-piled it close shop to start working it up.  Then at the lumber yard the other day the owner a good friend of mine told me of a guy that has a good sized industrial type plainer set up near us and is doing some custom plaining.  I need to talk to him, that would be a lot quicker than mine.  Any idea as far as what a fair price would be?    

I don't know what a fair price would be, but I have planed a large number of boards for use on my cabin project.  Each board goes through my planer at least 4 times, twice on each side, and some boards go though one more time.  For my ceiling and inside gable-end boards I also sanded the surface of the exposed side.  Of course I also ran many of them thought my table saw with a dado blade to make shiplap siding.

If you already own a good planer, the only out-of-pocket costs are blades or blade-resharpening.

I mostly enjoy the planing process, and with 8-10 foot boards it is pretty easy.  Longer boards might have a problem with sniping, where the planer cuts low areas into your boards.  I usually only ran 10 to 30 boards though in a batch, and then built something with them before I planed more of them.  Seemed to work pretty well, but that might not work for your project needs.

Would the guy with the planer come out to your place or would you have to take the wood to him?  For me it would be a deal-breaker if I had to move the wood somewhere else and then back again.  My goal was to minimize out-of-pocket costs, so I went the DYI method.

rick91351

PineCone I do have a planer, I have not checked into knives lately.  I am tempted to do it myself especially the pieces that I sort out that are sort of unusual grain and figure.

We have been all over the place planing a cabin or house.  Engineering and drawings are done on the house.  It is an arts and crafts style with a ton of wood work.  Hoever now I am wanting to back out and do something more small and simple and just see with life holds after we retire.  Either way it will take a lot of boards to accomplish what we want to do.

The guy with the planer is just a couple miles from me and I have a real nice heavy duty flatbed trailer.  I guess he welcomes you to just come over and he will run them through and you can put them right back on the trailer.  I still have to talk to him.  I wanted an idea about $ before I talked.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.