Insurance questions.

Started by Reed067, May 25, 2016, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reed067

While we still have a while before we build us anything it would seem that getting home insurance is a big deal, even more so if it's on wheels.  We have been told that anything OVER 400SF is a modular home anything under that is a RV.  ??? It seem there is no such thing as a certified tiny home either that's what one builder told us.

Someone on Facebook mentioned that getting home owners insurance is next to impossible.

As anyone else ran across this problem?  How did you deal with it?

Yes, another noob question.  [noidea'

Hope this in the right place. 

twychopen

What state are you in? I have a buddy who owns a building materials store and we are trying to get into building tiny homes on wheels. The issue in Texas (where I live) is that you have to get a manufacturer's license to build one that an insurance company will insure. That isn't a big deal, 75$ (if I remember correctly) and some paperwork and we have it. The problem is that a manufacturer can't be a wholesaler! So if I build it correctly, I can't then sell it. I would have to sell it to an RV place or something like that. Similar to how Ford is the manufacture of vehicles but your local dealer sells it to you. It sucks for us. But, long story short, as far as I have researched that is one of the biggest parts in Texas to getting something like that insured.

On the other hand, I would talk to your insurance company. The company that I use for my business will insure anything I ask them to as long as I agree to pay them for it. I just recently bought a MKT-99 military field kitchen and he said he would insure it haha. I suggest starting by talking to your current insurer. The guy I use personally for my house and vehicles I believe would do the same. Hope this helps.

zion-diy

[quote On the other hand, I would talk to your insurance company. The company that I use for my business will insure anything I ask them to as long as I agree to pay them for it. I just recently bought a MKT-99 military field kitchen and he said he would insure it haha. I suggest starting by talking to your current insurer. The guy I use personally for my house and vehicles I believe would do the same. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

A word of caution here. I built a small office/store alongside my house an purchased business insurance from my agent who also provided my homeowners insurance. The office was apart from the house, but had a covered breezeway between them. I had a house fire that destroyed part of the house and the overhead wires coming to both house and business and had to shut down the office/store for a few weeks. Surprise... the insurance company refused to pay because the breezeway made it part of the house. A small fact overlooked by the agent who of course, was happy to collect premiums for nearly 2 years previously without mentioning this small fact. Just saying.... >:(

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

hpinson

Gotta agree.  There are plenty of insurance agents who will take your money and claim you are insured.  But on the occasion you need it, you may well find out you are not covered for the particular thing you were sure you were covered for.

On another note, Progressive just denied us home owners insurance because we have a flat roof. Probably another insurer will take us as we are low risk in an adobe house outside of any flood plain, but my impression is that insurers are getting very picky about what they will and will not insure, and you better make sure you understand what is in writing, as opposed to what an agent tells you.

Reed067

Quote from: twychopen on May 25, 2016, 11:29:14 PM
What state are you in?

We plan to settle in South Carolina up around Greenville, well North of that closer to the NC border.  We're still in GA at the moment. We have a friend who builds homes out of things like Cobb, earth bag, etc. He's told us that inspection is hellish to get approved & insurance it's easy to get either. Same with someone wanting to put something like an Airstream on your own property.  It's very madding to say the least.