Absolute minimal Cost to build this A Frame

Started by ricoace, June 26, 2011, 11:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricoace

Hello Everybody
What a fantastic Forum...I have been searching for you for a couple of years. ;) I know my question in the subject box is very broad.  Factors based on geographics, materials ect come into play ...The plan in the Photo is for a approx 600 sq foot...and this design is a one bedroom, I would want at least a two bedroom. So lets say this A frame is 900 sq foot.

Based on your experiences and todays economy and "good to excellent materials"...Could I have this A frame reasonably built for under 50,000? My Carpentry skills are nil to none, although with a good book and good instruction, I think i can do anything i put my mind to...I own property in Southern Il and this is a pending project...A project I prefer to complete with "Cash".

again, I know this a broad question, just looking for opinions and thoughts.

Rick

UK4X4

I just had a materials list completed for the below building- not including roofing or foundation

ie all frame materials - lvls- pillars posts sheathing- exterior was brecken ridge ply with cedar battens- PVC windows and doors

No interior coverings or unsupporting walls- dried in frame

cost in Colorado was 44-46K from two diferent lumber yards- just the window pack was about 14K

the building is 48ft by 32" main section with the 8 ft wide sun room in the back.

I also had the building quoted by a builder- 170K dried in..............I said no !

Squirl

I don't know about that one, but there is one on here with what I would estimate as about 900 square feet usable space. 

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9259.160

I think it was 20-30k.  So, probably.

Native_NM

$50,000 / 900 = $55 per foot.  If you already own the land, I would think its almost a certainty assuming you are doing the work. If you hire it out, I think the chances are very slim.  On the other hand, in today's real estate market, there are lots of properties for sale in the $50/ft range.

There are several good websites that list average material costs by Sq foot by region by category (framing, roofing, flooring, etc).  For example, in IL you might need a different foundation than in NM.  Shingles are priced different than metal per sq foot.

Some costs are the same per foot regardless of the envelope.  Flooring and roofing for example.  Others vary by envelope size: stairs for example.  It costs the same to build a set of stairs for a 900ft building as it does a 2000ft house. 

I'd create an Excel file, populate the major cost elements, and start looking at the material costs in your area.    I have such a file, with costs for the NM area, and the total material costs are much less than $55 per foot.

There are rules for estimating stick builds that might not work well for an A-frame.  For example, on a 2x stick build at 16" OC, you can estimate 1 stud per lineal foot.  That will account for window openings and waste.  On a 16x24, there are 80 linear feet of exterior walls, so estimate 80 2x4's  At $3 each, the exterior walls cost $240 plus the cost of the headers for windows and doors, which are also estimated by linear foot.  Using 2x8's, it works out to $3 per linear foot in our region for double headers with a OSB core.  For a 3' door opening, add $9.  For a 4' window opening, add $12. 

Floors are easy also.  Plywood is about a $1 a sq ft for the good stuff.  For our 16x24, estimate $384.  Joists and rim material at 16" is estimated the same way as walls.  One per foot.  For a 24' long bldg, you will need (24) 16' 2x12 or whatever you plan on using. 

Siding is usually OSB.  Its $10 a sheet, or $0.32 a sq ft.  For our building, that is $204 for the exterior siding. 

Add your roofing, rafters, roof deck, shingles, windows, etc. until you get a dry shell. 

Add plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.  All easy to estimate.

Don't forget foundation, site prep, permits, septic, water, bribes, and graft. 

I have designed a couple of templates over the years, and they will estimate a basic home with confidence, including scrap, fasteners, screws, and ER co-pays.   d* d* d*

I used the template to build two commercial facilities, not too different than the 16x32 here, and my final cost was very, very close to my initial estimate.  I know when I build my cabin almost exactly how much I am going to spend.

I could send you the template, but I think it would defeat an important part of the self-build process.  Estimating your building helps you think of the process ahead of time.  If you really need it, I will post it.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

dablack

Native,

I would really like to see that file.

thanks
Austin

suburbancowboy

I would do some more research on people who started out wanting A frames on this forum and ended up going with the 1 1/2 story style plans that can be found on this site.  I was in this boat 3 years ago.  I am in the middle of a build for a 20 X 36.  Boy am I glad that I didn't do the A Frame  This has so much more usable room.  Cost to get it all dried in so far with septic, foundation, road and wood around 25000.