Installing Windows

Started by Billisnice, October 31, 2007, 07:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

How do I attach the windows to the house if I use 1" Styrofoam on the outside of thse 1/2 cdx plywood sheathing to make it air tight?  do i attach the window to the cdx and put butt Styrofoam ot it. Do I add a 1x3 as a nailer,etc? To cut cost i want to Sheetrock return to the window inside. No trim. Any illustration?

Thanks

glenn kangiser

For others information to help answer your question, what type of exterior siding were you planning - and are you planning to put  3/8 lath or something over the foam to allow drainage (screen wall) so thour siding will not develop mold problems.

Here I have seen windows under the foam - the foam carved down with a knife then stucco sprayed over the entire house in tract home projects.  That probably doesn't apply to your project though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Billisnice

T-11 with stainless steel nails to prevent rust.

glenn kangiser

Were you doing the screenwall to get the T1-11 off of the foam?  The foam can be a moisture barrier if I recall correctly with  taped edges but capillary action can hold and spread water behind your T1-11 causing rot.  The 3/8 space promotes drainage at the gaps where the sheets join or through gaps in the end of the spacers allowing the backside to dry.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWI

I put a layer of rubber flashing tape on the sill, then I put a bead of caulk on the rough opening right over the foam.  Then I put the window in, compressing the caulk.  I put tape over the nailing flange next.  Right over all of that is my vinyl siding.  No space, but vinyl just hangs so there should be a lot of air in there.  I  did caulk all my foam seams too.  I don't expect problems.
god helps those who help them selves