Author Topic: Victoria's Cottage Ridge Beam  (Read 1829 times)

Offline misspriss

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
Victoria's Cottage Ridge Beam
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:00 AM »
Quick question, I bought the VC plans and the materials list. We extended the length of the main 2 story section by 4'.

The plans call for a 5-1/8" x 16-1/2" x 28' Glu Lam Beam for that section, would I just get the same in 32', or will it need to be bigger because of the increased space? I didn't realize this would be an issue, I just thought "more of the same" was okay (I've seen that a lot on here) but now I'm concerned.

Also, I have seen people do multiple 1-3/4" beams fastened together instead of one, for easier handling, would that be acceptable?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:21:55 AM by Adam Raabe »

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
    • CountryPlans - About Us
Re: Victoria's Cottage Ridge Beam
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Yes, the VC cottage is a little different from most of the other plans in that it was a custom house and is not as easy to expand as some of the simpler plans.
What I would recommend is checking with the lumber yard to see if they can supply a larger beam or come up with another solution for the extra 4' load. They may be able to assemble thinner beams into a larger section. They will be able to design for your local loads and can be more precise.

Best wishes, John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:22:08 AM by Adam Raabe »
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Offline misspriss

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
Okay thanks. We don't have high loads here. We originally planned to do the alternate assembly with the trusses, but then all of a sudden like we are reconsidering the beam. I think the trusses will just be easier and we don't necessarily need the full height in the center.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:22:15 AM by Adam Raabe »

Offline maggiethecat

• I Maggie thank you very much
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 03:34:32 PM »
Hi,
where are you seeing this Glu Lam beam information? I just purchased the VC plans kit and I'm not finding any in-depth information on roofing. It just mentions professionally engineered trusses. I'd rather stick frame my roof if possible. Any info?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:23:32 AM by Adam Raabe »
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

Offline Adam Raabe

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:03:16 AM »
Hi maggietoh,

Looks like they're referring to Page 1 of the Plans PDF. See: Structural Notes (on the left side of the page) as well as "GLULAM RIDGE BEAM" indications in the drawings on that same page (Section A-A, and Alternate Cross Section w/ Steep Stair).

Here are a couple links related to GluLam that may help when looking up the designations in the plans:
https://www.americanlaminators.com/tech/ANSI+117-2015.pdf
https://www.anthonyforest.com/assets/pdf/apa/glulam/Glulam_Design_Specs.pdf
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:23:26 AM by Adam Raabe »

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 35 - 1077KB. (show)
Cache hits: 12: 0.00266s for 38,933 bytes (show)
Queries used: 24.

[Show Queries]