Cheap way to get chimney out the roof

Started by suburbancowboy, October 06, 2009, 12:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I am just about done with the 12 X 16 bunk house that I have been building this fall and I need some suggestion on a cheap way to get the chimney through the roof.  The roof is a 12 X 12 pitch with 6 inch board with 6 inches of insulation.  I picked up a small fire place with 10 feet of 6" black pipe in the classified for 50 dollars a couple of weeks ago.  I called the local fireplace store to get a price on the triple wall through the roof 12 X 12 pitch piece with a 3 foot stainless steel extension and a cap and the price was over 500 dollars. :-[  This is over 10 percent of all the cost of the cabin.  I am wondering if anybody out there has some suggestions to bring this cost down. I would like to be in the <200 range.  I would even go out the wall if that would help.  Are there any 6" kits out there on the internet in that price range.  The ones I have seen are more than I want to pay.

MountainDon

There's no such thing as a cheap and safe chimney.   :(

The best deals I've seen on insulated chimney is at Lowe's. They sell the Selkirk brand, a double wall stainless steel pipe with mineral wool insulation. It's class A rated.  

Even at their prices, which I deemed fair, the chimney will be more than your $200.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

I'd better start this post with a disclaimer.. Fire is really dangerous and many homes have burned due to inadequate chimneys... Read on at your own risk.. :)

What we've done in our garage is stick 1' of 8'' class A rated pipe through a wall thimble. We then ran cheap 6'' pipe through the 8'' and continued it up outside. We shielded the wall wherever the pipe comes near and braced the outside stack with brackets.

I obviously can't recommend this method to anyone, but it's served us for years. The single wall pipe needs to be cleaned twice through the burning season to keep it safe, as it promotes creosote buildup and a chimney fire could be quite dangerous with thin pipe. In our experience you'll get about four years out of the thin pipe before it needs to be replaced.  We hope to come up with something more permanent in the future, but for now this is all we could afford. Sometimes you can find insulated pipe with dings and dents for a discount on ebay.. The locals all use well casing pipe in their deer camps, but it's hard to come by.  

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Minicup28

I bought my thru wall kit & pipe from this place. At the time it was  a lot less than anyplace else:

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/9846999

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/2565752

Search thru the whole listings, they have the same items at different prices from alternate  warehouses.
You win some
You lose some
Some you don't even get to start...

suburbancowboy

Thanks for the link.  That is about half of what I have seen it else where.

Squirl

It depends on what kind of roof you have.  Cathedral, 2-story, Trusses.  If you have a 2 story, normally you have to run the pipe outside and up with triple wall pipe.  Very expensive.  I have found some great deals on craigslist.  The kits I have seen at Lowes, HD, Tractor supply are a lot less than $500, they are closer to $250-$300.  Also with the method Earnest developed, I would use fiberglass or Rockwool insulation between the two pipes.

glenn kangiser

I also am with Andrew (Ernest).

I built a wall thimble about 2' square with rocks and mud with a bit of portland cement added for stabilizer then went through and out the side or endwall then up with shielding on the pipe at combustible locations.  Of course this is information only.  Never do as I do. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

I had a setup like that once. Looked kinda scary but it worked. I wouldn't recommend it though.