Roof Venting

Started by cedarglen, September 25, 2005, 10:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

Is  roof venting as shown on page 4 of the 2 story universal plans a good idea in cold dry climates?  Is it manditory in strict code enforcement areas?

Also the floor of the attic has the 2x4's perpendicular to the joists and then OSB on top. Is that just to make room for more insulation? If I am doing a finished attic can I put the r-38 between my 2x10 rafters and just put the 5/8"OSB on the joists?

Thank you once again.
Charles

jraabe

The roof venting shown, vent blocks or soffit vents at the eave combined with ridge vents, is the common practice and provides good ventilation for an unheated attic.

Yes, the 2x4's shown in the floor is to bump up for another layer of insulation. If you have a beam under the attic floor then good quality (DF #2 or Btr) 2x8's @ 24" will work structurally for bedroom type loads. I would do 3/4" subflooring here because the span is wider.

If you can eliminate the venting space in the rafter you want to make sure the framing is dry and no warm moist air can get into the cavity. Foam insulations such as icynene will probably work best.

I would check locally on the elimination of venting in cathedral rafters - it is an area of controversy going on now.

See this thread if you haven't already:
http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1129854155;start=