Question for Glenn

Started by Epiphany, August 22, 2005, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epiphany

When clearing out some boxes over the weekend, I ran across an article I had torn out of the Spring 1989 issue of Fine Homebuilding entitled "The House Under the Garden".  Wondering if you had seen it, and if so, did it contribute to the design for your underground house?

glenn kangiser

I hadn't seen that one-- I have seen some nice living roofs in some books and online.

My ideas came mostly from the great guru of sensible underground houses, Mike Oehler.  He mentioned that his underground house looked nice because the roof looked like a garden or park.  No wasted space- relatively gopher -varmint free -if you put a fence around it- no need to re-roof every so many years - no need to re-paint.  Just do it- live in it and deal with minor problems once in a while.  (Or grab the backhoe and add on a whole new wing-- thats why I have such a hard time imagining a 200 square foot house.)  :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteI ran across an article I had torn out of the Spring 1989 issue of Fine Homebuilding

Ekk!!!  MINE  GOOTIN !!  :o :o TORN OUT ???  :( :( :( Of Fine Homebuilding ??     My OH MY , is there nothing left ,  Epiphany how could you  ??? ???

What a sad day that was , and in which we now live .  :'( :'(

Ah, this to will pass :(

:o PEG
  PS To self , never loan out tools or Fine homebuilding mags .  :-X
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .