Seeking DWV installation tips

Started by MikeT, September 08, 2008, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I completed my entire DWV run this past weekend and have everything connected but not glued (just dry connected).  Before I begin the glue up process, can I get some tips on how to do this?   

Thanks,
Mike

ScottA

Not sure if you're using PVC or ABS but the process is pretty much the same.

Primer the pipe end and the fitting to be joined. Don't do this far in advance. Do it just before gluing. Apply a good amount glue to the pipe and fitting. You want full coverage of the joint surfaces. Insert the pipe and twist it 1/4 turn while pushing it in. You can usualy feel it hit bottom. It's important to get the pipe all the way into the fitting.

MikeT

Thanks, Scott. 

When I dry fit, I can't really get it all the way in.  I realize this means I may have to lengthen a section of ABS when I do the actual gluing. 

Is there a strategy for where I begin gluing?  Top to bottom?  Bottom to top? 

Will I need to pressure test this?  If so, how do you do that with connections at different heights?  Just cap it off and fill it at the highest point (from the roof, and if it holds, it is tight)?

mt

ScottA

I usualy start at the bottom and work toward the roof. I test mine to 5 psi or fill with water. I cap everything and fill to the tub overflow on the second floor. Lately I've found air testing to be easier but you need the right stuff to do it. How do you plan the lengthen the pipes? Pipe streacher?  ???

MikeT

I should have said, lengthen the sections of pipe by replacing them where needed.  I knew what I meant.

Thanks. 

mt