Mice in eavesce in the vinyl sided eaves.  It

Started by tc-vt, December 10, 2006, 11:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc-vt

So now I have mice in the vinyl sided eaves.  It seems they climbed up inside the vinyl corner posts.  It's only a matter of time before they chew through the sprayed in foam and get inside.  I'll probably get an exterminator to deal with it but would like to hear suggestions from here.

Thanks.

Tom

glenn-k

Bait stations or boxes refreshed every once in a while usually do it.  We have wood rats in the woods around us and they are not above moving in once in a while.  Sometimes they don't like the old bait but fresh bait like D-con every once in a while gets them.

jb52761

Living in the woods here, I get the little critters once in a while too. There is a gentleman who is affiliated with the PBS stations that has a lawn and garden program, can't remember his name, but he is also an author. One of his books is called, '1000 Ways To A Pest-Free Property'. In it he says one way to rid your home of mice is to add drops of peppermint oil to cotton balls, and stuff them here and there in cracks, holes, etc...he says they can't stand it...I tried it and yes they seemed to scatter, but I added some traps to catch the persistant ones...just don't over-do it inside...my cabin smelled like Santa Claus moved in for two weeks !!...p.s.....he says be sure not to use peppermint extract, from the baking section of your grocer.....go to a health-food store for real Oil of Peppermint......

glenn-k

Thanks for the tip, JB.

'Tis the season to get rid of mice, eh? :)

southernsis

Sometimes I wish I had mice instead of wasps. They have taken up residence in the attic area and we have tried everything to get rid of them. On warm days they start swarming and also get inside. Any suggestions, short of tearing the place down. We have tried spray and bombs. :'(

Amanda_931

Wasps or some sort of hive-type bees?

Yellowjackets--and hornets--live communally as well.  But the standard dirt-daubers and those paper-making jobs are through for the season around here.

jb52761

Yup...I get wasps out here in the woods too...for what its worth, I have tried wasp sprays, but the absolute best way I've found to kill them within seconds is the mosquito spray for humans...the Repel Spray by Sportsman brand. Had a few in the cabin one day and thats all the stuff I had so gave them a quick shot and within 5 seconds or so they were toast....worked a HECK of alot better than actual wasp spray...don't know why that is but I don't buy wasp spray anymore... 8-)

Sassy

We get a lot of the mud daubbers & the wasps that build the paper hives in our hot tub area outside our bedroom in the valley - once in awhile they get into the house, not a big problem, but I just take the hose & spray them down (not in the house, outside... ) haven't been attacked by a swarm yet...  :-/  but as a teenager I was running through my dad's almond orchard & ran right into a swarm of honey bees - I had long hair - they were tangled in it & buzzing in my ears, in my shirt... I kept thinking, "stay calm" as they hadn't stung me yet... then the buzzing got too much for me to handle & I started swatting them - I ended up getting stung 13 times (counted them) none of the stingers stayed in me & I didn't suffer any after effects besides being traumatized  :o :D - no, actully I'm not scared of them.   Don't like the yellow jackets or the "meat" bees we have up here - they bite!

PS  how'd we go from mice to bees?

OldDog

I packed the bottom of my vinyl corners with stainless "steel wool"