Sealer for Cedar

Started by MNJon, April 26, 2012, 11:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNJon

I am building an outdoor shower from Western Red Cedar. What have you guys used as a sealer against water? I want to keep the color and not let it grey or age. I like the deep look of oils. I was thinking just Thompson's Water Sealer but I don't know if it will let it age or keep the color. It will be in a location with direct sun and be exposed to lots of water on a daily basis.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MNJon on April 26, 2012, 11:42:20 AM
I am building an outdoor shower from Western Red Cedar. What have you guys used as a sealer against water? I want to keep the color and not let it grey or age. I like the deep look of oils. I was thinking just Thompson's Water Sealer but I don't know if it will let it age or keep the color. It will be in a location with direct sun and be exposed to lots of water on a daily basis.

Just word of mouth from those who have used Thompsons were not very well satisfied with the results.  Maybe a higher grade $$ by them would be better than the specials at the big boix stores.  There are other manufacturers that make good sealers as well.   You will want to make sure that there is a UV protectant in the product.  I am partial to oil's rather than water based. Old fashioned I am not sure but in everything else I use I opt for the oils.

Don_P

In reality that is an impossible wish, that we all have. You can refinish frequently, from the sounds of the location, several times per year. My mother has left me with absolutely nothing to say about Thompsons, nothing at all.

When the thrill of refinishing fades stains offer better UV protection, start lighter and progress darker through time. Or adopt forest service brown early.

MountainDon

I happen to love quality heavily pigmented paint or non transparent stain.  :)  I keep the natural wood finishes indoors.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Alan Gage

Start researching WRP (Water Repellant Preservatives). You can afterwards coat with a semi-transparent stain that will still look quite natural but will need recoated more often than solid stains or paint.

Alan

MNJon

Thanks for the advice. A quick search for Water Repellent Preservatives yielded the following site. Excellent reading.

http://www.wrcla.org/installation_and_finishing/finishing_cedar_decks/default.htm