post and beam question remx

Started by busted knuckles, March 30, 2012, 10:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busted knuckles

I am looking at building  a small house. I have been looking at pier block foundations. I saw this pic.... 

Ok, I asked this question and I did not get any replies, I read it again and it was not very clear. I am looking at the beam location in this pic, why not put the beam under the edge of the subfloor? Why would you have it set in like that? Would the walls not be better supported if the beam was directly under them? Just looking for pros and cons. Thanks for any help.
you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

busted knuckles

bump, I re phrased the question.

MountainDon

This will work for small buildings with no heavy loads.

IMO, advantages...
-- floor joists may be able to be smaller (2x6 vs 2x8 for example)
-- if the beams are not placed quite perfectly that can be adjusted in the joist framing.

disadvantages...
-- more difficult to skirt the bottom to keep critters out for example.

As pictured the whole thing is too close to the ground, IMO. Impossible to get underneath. Someday you will want to get under it. Also, FYI beams/girders with lower edge closer than 12" to grade should be PT wood. For joists the lower edge should be more than 18" from grade, or be PT wood.

Deck blocks are for decks not cabins, maybe tool sheds. Not cabins or houses, IMO.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

busted knuckles

Great, thank you. It was a pic from the net I picked up. I was not  planning on that as a model for a build. Just something I noticed regarding the overhang.  I had seen smaller homes online built in the same fashion.

Don_P

At that joist dimension the overhangs are excessive and actually deck blocks are prohibited under decks in most places.