Pierce County, Washington?

Started by Pritch, November 27, 2011, 02:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pritch

So plans change.   :-\  We are considering smaller acreage closer in rather than the bigger, more remote land I had been hoping for.  The idea is that we will actually live full time on the property in a few years when my wife retires so it will have to be close enough for me to commute to work. 

Does anybody have any experience or info regarding the building process in Pierce County, Washington?  (I know King County is notoriously difficult and expensive!)

Thanks!
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

waggin

While I don't have experience with building there, I have plenty of experience living and being stuck in traffic there.  Suburbia has really spread out while the road capacity hasn't kept up.  Even on weekends, getting from rural Pierce into Tacoma or Seattle is not pleasant.  The septic system maintenance and pumping requirements are getting pretty onerous there too, but I don't know about new installations.  In King County, they're at the point where they will only approve 5% of the land for a gravity septic system according to a septic designer I spoke with.  With as crowded as Pierce is now, I wouldn't doubt it if they're following suit.

Have you considered heading north to Snohomish or Skagit counties?  I can be in Seattle in less time than it would take to get there from Graham, and I think it's a whole lot prettier up here.  Yonderosa has some actual experience with Skagit County and city of Mount Vernon building departments, and complimented them.  You might picking his brain if you have some questions.  I spoke with the county building department several times in figuring out the feasibility issues with my property, and I found them to be very helpful and willing to discuss options and procedures.  The fire marshal also seemed to also be agreeable and willing to work with folks on requirements.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Pritch

Thanks, waggin.  The plan is to transfer to Auburn/Fredericson and commute there from Eatonville or Graham. 
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

waggin

Is the commute during normal hours/first shift?  If so, I'd highly recommend checking the route during rush hour.  Also, have you considered Orting, South Prairie, and some of the surrounding small towns?  That would make it more of an east/west commute if working at Fredrickson.  Best wishes for finding something you like!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)