ROOFING

Started by NIGHTOWL, December 14, 2009, 12:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NIGHTOWL

I am building a cabin on my farm , trying to do it for as little as I can!
So the roof thats the cheapest is short pieces 6 to 8 ft.
My ? is how much should it overlap I'm thinking 3 or 4 in. would be enough, is that about right?
If that is enough I can do two 6 ft.for one side and a 7 and 8 or three 6 ft. for the other side.
All 6 ft. would be the cheapest,but I might stick to 2 pieces to each side.
Thanks
NIGHTOWL ;)

glenn kangiser

I am assuming steel roofing?

Shallower slopes probably would be best with a bit of strip caulking or similar but a 4 inch lap should do.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jbos333

If it's steel roofing, unless you have some kind of special one time deal going, it's usually sold by the linear foot, right now around 2.00- 3.00 per LF at 3 foot width depending on quality. And also usually cut to any length you like at no charge if you have a big enough order (enough for an average home).

n74tg

When I ordered my metal roofing material I had an overlap halfway up each slope.  My pitch is 5:12 and the metal sales guy said he would like to see a 12" overlap.  I went with a 9" overlap and it has worked well.  I think your 3-4" overlap is a little small.

Realize that the reason I had an overlap is because I felt it unwise to try to handle 17' long metal roof pieces by myself on top of a purlined roof.  The two shorter (roughly 9') pieces were quite easy to raise and install by myself; the only downside being there is a overlap seam.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

considerations

"So the roof thats the cheapest is short pieces 6 to 8 ft."

Are these the "tongues and tails"?  If so, please keep an eye out that they are consistently the same corrugation pattern, or overlap won't be the only issue. 

Colors can vary as well, but that could be "fun" rather than a problem.

NIGHTOWL

Quote from: considerations on December 16, 2009, 10:42:24 AM
"So the roof thats the cheapest is short pieces 6 to 8 ft."

Are these the "tongues and tails"?  If so, please keep an eye out that they are consistently the same corrugation pattern, or overlap won't be the only issue. 

Colors can vary as well, but that could be "fun" rather than a problem.

You are right about the colors , and probably about the tongue and tails.
I havent got to see it yet,but the various colors dont matter as long as its cheap and keeps the rain out!
Got my rafters done, now need to saw my purlings and get them up.
First I have to decide what length of roof I will use to place my purlings in the right place.

Realize that the reason I had an overlap is because I felt it unwise to try to handle 17' long metal roof pieces by myself on top of a purlined roof.  The two shorter (roughly 9') pieces were quite easy to raise and install by myself; the only downside being there is a overlap seam.
[/quote]

I also am doing mine myself ,your right shorter is easer for one man that makes it better,but Im trying to do it as cheap as I can.
NIGHTOWL ;)