Truss spacers and braces

Started by FrankInWI, August 22, 2007, 01:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

Exciting day, got my material quote today from my country neighbor's building supply company.  $8580 for ALL material above the slab.  This is for 24x26 garage with trusses with bonus room.  the 1 1/2 from John's plan will go next to this garage.   Roof is perpendicular, to allow access to 1 1/2 later.
Price seems to be complete, even 16 oc" was for the 8X12 bonus room.  Siding, roofing, installed garage door and opener, etc.  All I have to do is put the pieces together ( :P !!).  Good prices.  Most prices fall between the current sale price at discount retailer here and their regular price.  Closer to the sale price on much of it.   I may not be able to order this though since taking a pass on my neighbor's "favor" of doing my fill and slab for 7k or fill and slabS for 10K

:-? HEY!  I see they have Truss Spacers and Braces.  For a rookie, I like the idea of having these the day the highlift (or whatever) lifts the trusses up for us to set up and nail in.  FEEDBACK?

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-TSB02.pdf
god helps those who help them selves

tc-vt

The Simpsonstuff is nice and makes life simpler but the costs  can add up.

The other option you have is to precut a bunch of 2x4 (or 2x6, whatever your top plate is)  into 22-1/2 inch length spacers to set the trusses on the plates at 24 inches on center.  For the braces on the chords of the trusses, if you are tipping the trusses up by hand you can take  lengths of 2x4x8 and brace the bottom chords of the first two trusses together once they are tipped into place.  The rest of the 2x4x8 will be sticking out and you can slide the third and fourth trusses over the braces and nail them off.  Add more braces as you go.  This worked for the 20 foot wide trusses I used.  With trusses much bigger than that or if a crane is dropping them onto the plates from above, I think the simpson braces would be much easier.

Look into the simpson hurricane tie connectors to nail the trusses to the plates.  Less chance of splitting the heck out of the truss with toenails.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/highwind/trussrafter-stp.html

Ideally, start your lay out for your truss locations on the plates in the same direction as you laid out your walls so the trusses fall directly over the studs.  24 oc trusses built on top of 16 oc stud walls will have every other truss landing over a stud.  This is ok as long as you have a double top plate.

Tom