rim joist building questions

Started by MikeT, June 22, 2007, 08:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

If I am framing my floor on a continuous  8" stemwall foundation, does it matter where breaks in my rim joist fall?  Do they have to be where a joist will intersect and thus face nailed to both boards?  If the board end and begin wherever, do I need to join them with a simpson plate of some sort?

Finally, on the ends of the floor where the rim joist and the floor joists run parallel I understand our local inspector likes us to have doubled up the 2x10s on each end.   Can these be smaller sections that are just nailed into the rim joist since they are resting on a wide stemwall and are there simply for added support for the walls that will be sitting on top of them?

Thanks,
m

PEG688

I put my joints on layout , it is not required , so if you miss lay out not connector /clip is required. Just do not splice over  or clsoe to your area well/ crawl access whole.  

If you have to dbl up ask for Chapter and Verse  >:( We never dbl up unless there's some other factor , a large deck to be hung  :-/ or some other factor . In fact on a house rim I can't think of why he'd want one   ,  on a deck yes to more firmly attach railing post , seating etc but on the house proper.

If you do "have to dbl" that up keep it right up to and touching the real rim , remember wires and pipes , heating ducks , dryer vents  etc may want to go up/ down  thru that joist bay , blocking it up even a little will be a PITA . Ask the inspector about that.

Show him this photo , who needs a rim  ;D

All betta now ,

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MarkAndDebbie

QuoteCool - springy walls. :)
More "summery" walls with the climate out there.  ;D Certainly leaning toward "fall"