Can you design me a house?

Started by Jared, June 16, 2007, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

I like the 1 1/2 story 20x30 but I've got no imagination for creating my own that's different from John's. Can anybody here whip one up for me? I know a lot of you guys enjoy messing around with 3DHA so I thought I'd ask you guys for help. Here's what I want: 12' side walls, three bedrooms, one full bath and the ability to add the sunroom on later. Think any of you can help?
Jared

youngins

While I understand you are having problems, I tend to belong to the school of thought that architecture is more about just the one object your are designing - it also has to do with your surroundings.

Have you spent time on the property? how you thought about what kind of light you get during the different seasons? Are there any special environmental features that are unique to your property you wish to have visible from certain rooms?

Even though I am not interested in designing a house for you, I invite you to look at a blog from Leland, my friend and neighbor in South Central Colorado.  He has spent almost a year living in a 10x12 cabin on his property. He is just now building his house:

http://web.mac.com/leland1234/iWeb/Hermitage/Welcome.html

Hope you get inspired!

Chris

travcojim

That link reminds me of a house called the Breezehouse.   Of course for the small price of 300 and something grand.  But I am sure it can be built for much less,  with a few changes I can see it being in the dry for 15,000 or so, using shed roof and recycled windows.
http://livemodern.com/sunsetbreezehouse

jraabe

Breezehouse - an interesting variation of the dog-trot. That house need not be excessively expensive to build.

PS - One of the best ways to start customizing your own design is to start keeping a notebook or folder of things you like in other articles and plan books. Perhaps you will need some final plan modification help at some time - and that help should be local - but you will have most of your ideas worked out and will not need a lot of expensive handholding.  ;)

youngins

The particular design Leland is doing is using SIP's - and the windows alone are quoted over $15K.

benevolance

well

energy efficient windows are very expensive!!! You do get what you pay for...The ones that are double layered with inert gas in between the layers keep you cool in summer and warm in winter...

When I build my cabin in TN I am just going to make old fashioned wooden windows with storm windows that attach for winter time...

I guess it all comes down to what you want, what you can make yourself and what you can live with

Look at everything plan over and over... and then do it the way you want and get what you want...

MountainDon

When it comes to choosing windows, your ultimate choice may be affected by whether or not you have to meet the Energy Code, or not, and what code your area is enforcing. Cheap aluminum or single pane wood won't cut it with the more recent codes. Also depends on what you're heating/cooling with, and those costs.