time to buy a saw

Started by FrankInWIS, June 16, 2007, 10:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWIS

I got to buy a better table saw for my general repair, remodeling, and eventual 1 1/2 story build.  I do buy a TABLE saw, right? vs radial or?  
Are there any FEATURES that I should be sure my table saw has?  I have the $99 basic, but need to move up....but not too far $$.  
Advise please?  
Thanks
Frank

MarkAndDebbie

I am very happy with my general international saw. Dead flat cast iron top. Left tilt. My only complaint is the blade doesn't drop enough to put in my homemade throat plates easily.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50175185a.html
Get a good blade - whatever saw you get. WWII
http://www.forrestblades.com

peg_688

It depends what you want outta your new saw . Dewalt makes a nice 10" saw that is portable , has plenty of job site type power , a good fence system .

If your talking a more or less perminent shop type saw Grizzly make a good saw , my saw is over 20 years old has a lot of work done on it for 1/2 the price of a Delta or powermatic. They now make a left tilt as do most saw makers , that would be the only thing I would change if I where buying new again.

A ggod fence Beismeyer type or similar is essential to good use / workablity, easy to make jigs for , etc ,

And why are you having problems with the inserts mark or debbie ??

What won't fit??

I make my own generally as well. ;)

MarkAndDebbie

A ggod fence Beismeyer type or similar is essential to good use / workablity, easy to make jigs for , etc ,

My general came with one  :)

And why are you having problems with the inserts mark or debbie ??

What won't fit??

To create a zero clearance insert I have to plunge route the spot on the bottom of the plate to get the plate to sit flat. Sort of like the one on the right in your picture. It would be more convenient if the blade dropped another 1/4 inch so I could just plane it, shape it, drop it in, and raise the blade through it. Not a big deal - just something I think they could have fixed.