Stupid Header Question

Started by fritz, June 10, 2007, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

Okay, it's late and I feel dumb.  But if using 2 x 6 studs 24" on center, and you have a window that fits between the studs with a 24" r/o (okay it cheats the studs apart a bit.)  Other than for nailing, is a header still needed?

The windows in my wall are 24"  RO and then all fall between studs.  This is a 14' wide little house with a loft,..  Header table in the plans says a 2 x 12 up to 4 feet span, but I'm thinking it's not necessary. since there is no cripple to support.

Thanks.

PEG688

You'd still need a nailer above and below to nail your interior trim / drywall etc to but you could get by without a true header. The other issue you'll run into is that "lil extra" space will put at least one stud off layout , two if you move both studs to get the window in , and that will be where every sheet / edge of sheet goods will want to land  ;D

But sure you could go with a non structural header , just like you could in a gable end window in most of John's lil house plans, a non structural headers is basically a nailer for,  like I said , sheetrock , sheathing , door and window trim, etc .  

Of cousre they wouldn't be code for egress , do you have any window big enought and in the right (needed ) locations for egress ??
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

fritz

Ah ha  Thanks, I knew it was similar to something (gable end) just couldn't put my finger on it.

Thanks for the reminder about sheet goods.

No need for egress -- but another good consideration.

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

JRR

You might want to consider a "sister" stud (wouldn't have to be full height) on one or both of the side studs.  After the sister(s) is in place, the main stud could be cut out just enough to clear the window assembly.  This approach would keep the main stud(s) properly spaced for landing sheathing, wall board, etc.