Icynene as DIY application?

Started by june, June 06, 2007, 08:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

Can the homeowner apply Icynene?  (and if she can, should she try?) When I search for the answer, I find UK sources for DIY kits.  I find a US product called Tiger Foam <http://www.tigerfoam.com> which is supplied to homeowners, but I can't tell if it is the same product as Icynene.  

scottb

Closed Cell Polyurethane Foam Insulation, yes. diy? 200 sq ft surface $335  600 sq ft surface $640 small house, yes. A 26 by 32 house, no. Still get a quote in your area, Only way to know if diy is less expensive.

glenn kangiser

Icynene takes specialized equipment and is not a do it yourself project per reports from Okie BoB's projects.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

If my calculations are correct . . .

If you wanted r21 for the walls and floor, r42 for the ceiling, you would need about 18 or 19 "Kits" for a 24X40 single story home.  Four Kits for the walls, Five Kits for the floor, and 10 Kits for the ceiling.  (3" foam in walls, floor and 6" in ceiling)

Each Kit only covers 50 cu ft.  

At $640.00 per bd. ft. (Not sq. ft.) and 18 to 19 Kits, the cost would be $11,000 to $12,000.

Seems pretty expensive . . .
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

cfabien

Like others have mentioned the polyurethane foam you can DIY, the icynene you cannot. The poly foam IS pretty expensive, a good compromise is spraying 1" of foam and filling the rest of the wall with fiberflass. This gets you the air sealing qualities of the foam without nearly the cost premium of using solid foam in the walls.

Okie_Bob

June, Glenn is right as always!!!! (He is 'da man!) I'm certainly no expert on Icynene but, I just recently had my new house sprayed and it is definately NOT a diy project. I love the stuff and will use it as long as I can afford it. My house just cost me $7500 and I'm very pleased with the result. Filled all exterior stud walls, the entire ceiling ( roof, I guess) and even under floor ( pier and beam). The house is completely sealed from the outdoors and even with a metal roof, as quiet as a coffin. Had a bad thunderstorm the other day and I didn't even know it until I looked outside. And I can't even hear my A/C system come on or shut down. Now I have to see what my electric bills look like in July/August.
I'll gladly pass on any info I can, just ask. You have to use a licensed installation company for Icynene. Oh, and I just received my certification for the federal tax credit under section 25C of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Not sure what that means but believe it will get me a tax refund?
Okie Bob
PS: also has a lifetime warranty that passes on to new owners.

glenn kangiser

I'm just right because I listen to you, BoB -- the Icynene king.

About not hearing that storm, BoB...

An old fella went into the doctor.  The Doctor said, "What seems to be the problem?"  

The old timer said, "Doc, I can't hear."

The Doc said "OK - let me have a look in your ear."

"What did you say?

The Doc spoke very loudly and said, "I SAID LET ME HAVE A LOOK IN YOUR EAR."

"Oh - OK."

The Doc took a look and said -- "No wonder you can't hear - you have a suppository in your ear."

The old timer again said "What did you say?"

The Doc replied "I SAID -- NO WONDER YOU CAN'T HEAR --- YOU HAVE A SUPPOSITORY IN YOUR EAR."

The old timer thought for a second then replied, "Oh -- then I think I know what I did with my hearing aid." :-/

I know -- I know -- I think I already told that one, but... my wife will laugh again -- she always forgets my jokes. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Having run through a couple of cans of expanding foam I have great respect for anyone who is able to get just what they want in the right place without big puffy blobs.

Icynene and other foam in place technologies are tricky chemistry combined with application skills bordering on art.

Give me the equipment and I'm sure I would build an R-157 blob in the center of the first wall I started to foam.  :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Okie_Bob

John, having watched the pros do my house, I have to laugh at your reply! You are so right and I know I'd also have an R157 blob somewhere it didn't belong! hehehehehe. I talked to the owner of the company and he said it took him two weeks in school to learn how to spray the stuf...well, the whole process anyway. And the trailer he pulls behind his F-350 diesel dully crewcab he says cost over $100k. Course it is totally self contained with big diesel generator and all the gear. If it wasn't for the cost to get into it, it would be a great business. This guy stays busy 24/7.
Glenn, that joke is as old as me!!! And that is old.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

Darn it BoB.  Now I'll have to think of another one. :-/

june

Thank you all for the response.  I'm still dreaming but Icynene is high on the list of things to give serious consideration.