16' Builder's Cottage

Started by Gladey, December 30, 2006, 12:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladey

We just bought 7 acres in WV and we're looking at building options. We're very green with the whole building thing, but we really like the builder's cottage design. We were hoping we might be able to make it 16' wide instead of 14'. We had initially planned on a little house, 12' by 20', with two rows of 4 8" cement tube piers (so 8 total, with 6x6 beams), but somehow every time we talk about building, the size creeps up. So what do you guys think? Would 16' require a whole other course of piers (we are pretty low on funds, so that alone might take it back to 12)?

glenn-k

Changing width creates problems but length changes are not a problem.

I would suggest going to Victoria's Cottage then shorten it if you don't want it that long.  Loading changes throughout  the structure and foundation on width changes.

You could build it to look similar to the Builders Cottage if you like.

This would be the easy way to take care of the load calcs and still have only two sets of piers as shown on the Victoria information.

bartholomew

The Victoria's Cottage set includes not only the Victoria's Cottage but also a basic plan (stuctural info only) for a 16'x28' "studio house" that can be lengthened or shortened as desired. You might want to get that set along with the Little House plans set. The Little House plans set sounds like it is geared towards first-time builders with more "how to" info than the VC set.

littlegirlgo

Gladey
Like you I am low on funds.  My original plan was to do the two story cottage but that was too much in lumber costs. One of the things I am doing is building in sections. I am going to do two sections of 14x24. The main section will have a sleeping loft and then there will be another "shed style" addition. This way I can enclose the first section and move in thus getting rid of the rent and having more monies available to finish the interior. Mine will be somewhat like the Victorian but with a more angled roof to hold solar panels.

Gladey

Yeah, I think we'll probably go ahead and buy the Enchilada plans and start off with a 12' by 18'. Ot maybe 12' by 20'. That way it could easily be divided into 2 bedrooms when we build that bigger place. That's the plan at least.