8x8 Tiny Cabin *PICS*

Started by speedfunk, December 12, 2006, 03:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfunk

I just wanted to show the crew here my little cabin we built .   We just finished our firsday Cottage and wanted to work on something a bit smaller ...  

this is a cabin we made from MOSTLY used building materials leftover from building our Firstday Cottage. Some materials were left over from remodeling our current house over the past few years. Total amount for Materials invested so far is 40 bucks to date

* 20 bucks for 4 sheets of OSB
   * 20 bucks for 9 pounds of drywall screws

It's pretty cool ...I'm really happy with it so far..  We camped out the other night .... it was 30 ..... NOTE: need more insulation :)   I'll post more pics as things come along maybe this weekend we can get the roof tin on

Here's a Few pictures if you want to see more pics go here http://oursideofthemountain.com/projects/cabininthewoods.html

bob_clark

nice, I am planning something about that size but on stilts to hunt deer out of

Sassy

What a great way to use your leftover materials!  Goes to show you can make a little cabin for next to nothing - cute!  Do you have a link to your First Day home?  Daddymem & Mommymen have done a fantastic job building theirs!

speedfunk

Quotenice, I am planning something about that size but on stilts to hunt deer out of

take PICS!!!!

speedfunk

QuoteWhat a great way to use your leftover materials!  Goes to show you can make a little cabin for next to nothing - cute!  Do you have a link to your First Day home?  Daddymem & Mommymen have done a fantastic job building theirs!

Yeah they are members of the fdbuilders yahoo group with us.  They built their house so QUICK!!!  They did an amazing job and should be proud.   We took a year to do ours but we finally got our CO about 3 weeks ago.  

http://employees.oneonta.edu/landrydk/spechouse.html

I'm working on moving the pic page onto our new site and actually have alot more pics then viewed here...I will update with a new link when I add ALL the pics... But this gives you an idea.  
BTW sassy ..love what you both have built.....  it looks amazing.

Mommymem

lol I didn't realize it was you until i saw the spec house! I was trying to figure out who this other FirstDay builder was!

Thanks for the compliments all :) We've worked very hard to get this house done to the way we want. Hopefully be moved in soon!

Daddymem

Wow, you had a lot of 2byfers left.  Wish we had that many.  We got tons of decking left and may do some 8x8 (no permit!)  structures ourself with some additional material purchases.  Good inspiration, thanks.

speedfunk

Moved in...the best part...chilling in your own self built house ..congrats.

Yeah for some reason we had quite a few "2 by fers" left over.   Some were left overs from other things over the past 5 years.    We also had 2x6's decking left over which was good b/c they were ones that were twisted to much to use with out being cut... they might become our new houses countertops ..we will see..they will sit in a pile waiting to be put use.   Did you find you had alot of twisted 2x6's?  Just curious...

Just got some more insulation to help keep the 8x8 warm.  This type is fiberglass...so to recap it is a very diverse group of insulation ..  ;D

We havn't worked on it latley ...I've been busy getting our ranch ready for sale...lots of painting etc.    Hopefully that goes on the market march.   Between the 8x8 and my brothers camper , that will be the living space for the next year while we work on our new home..  Can't wait... soon to be mortage free..  woohoooo.. (hopefully this summer)

I wonder also have you had any problems with leaking around the windows...   moisture seems to have gotten behind the insulation and ran down ontop of the window frame.  I think a better way to install the windows would have been flush against the sheathing ..this way there would be no chance it would leak.   People could then build out the window sill on the outside.   My buddy who helped is building another FD in the spring for someone and I recommended to him to do it different then the kit...just curious how yours came out!

jraabe

When you do a sheathed house (OSB or plywood) you lap the housewrap over the top of metal flashing at the head of the windows. Then the siding goes on and any water running down the house (or even behind the siding) is forced out an over the window and drops away. This is a bit trickier in single wall structures (T1-11) since you almost alsways have to rely on caulking and it will fail as things move.

Maybe that will help.

Sweet little place by the way. Good work!

Daddymem

We haven't gotten any exterior leaks.  We did, however, get a nice gusher from inside condensation in our southern exposure windows.  The stink pipe penetration was left exposed and we hadn't done anything with it yet so the condensation built up on the back side of the roof and got in between the insulation pieces (we have 2"+1"=3") and found the easiest escape route to be inside, behind the windows.  It only occured when the sun beat down exactly on the pipe.  We stuffed some insulation in the hole and haven't had a problem since.  

We used a lot of duct tape around the window tab.  Also with our trim we have flashing (calked behind and on) along the top horizontal piece so anything getting behind the sheathing should drip out and over the window instead of behind.  But I agree, for the thicker insulation especially, I would have preferred a little better system.  Supposedly Billy Snowden has a detail but he never shared it with us.  Our only concern now are the doors with the way they don't really fit the thickness of the walls so we had to fill inbetween the frame and the door trim which is level with the sheathing and I don't like how they came out.  

We didn't have any 2x6s in our house...2x8s and 2x4s.

speedfunk

Thanks Jon... That's along the lines of what we will do to remedy the problem.   Got another person looking at it tommorow hopefully soon we will get another offer.  We had one for what we wanted but b/c of other reasons they changed their mind.  I happy to find out that the market is not quite as bad as I thought it might be her in economically depressed upstate NY  :P

That's great to hear DaddyMem.. I'm happy for you.  I know that this kit was more meant for 2"'s of foam but it seams that a lot of people are required to do 4"'s , I know that we did.  We also weathertaped the tabs to a seal against the insulation.  We SHOULD have used some tin flashing like you did and john suggested over the top of the windows...live and learn.  But now that i've thought about it that would be tricky too.

the 2x6's I'm refering to were the T&G decking .. didn't mean to confuse  :o