Re: 1-1/2 in the Ozarks

Started by glenn-k, June 10, 2006, 01:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Things are nice and green.  Looks like progress. :)

Daddymem

Must have been fun getting the trailer in.  Looks nice and peaceful there.  Looks good.

glenn-k

QuoteDial-up at 12K means just one picture at a time - can you say slow?

I can not only say slow--I can say dedicated and determined.  Thanks so much, for taking the time to post the pictures for us.Your project is looking great.

Do you have trouble in the winter or spring getting to the site with all the creek crossings (anybody else say crick? like they do in some of Oregon).

Nice aerial views -- I assume you are on a hill --not in a tree. :)

peg_688

Thanks , nice clean site  :) look like a great spot :)

What's the span on those joist?

Looks to be about 20' . If your sub floor isn't down yet you might consider a center beam . Even if it meets code / span lenght has to be close to max.

The floor will have some bounce / spring in it if you don't put in a center beam.

You have a generator ? Any neighbors? Other cabins ? Lake near by?    

bil2054

Looks really nice, flyer. Thanks for the extra (dial-up) effort! Don't worry about all those crossings; cuts down on sales people a bit. [smiley=smiley.gif]
Are you living full time in the camper, or are you on a weekend building schedule?  Don't know if you caught it in the general forum area, but there's a thread on temporary shelter while building... it would be great to have your thoughts on it.

I've always said "crick", Glenn.... probably learned it from the Deputy Dawg show as a kid [smiley=laugh.gif].  "Creaks" are mostly found in the joints these days.

glenn-k

Thanks, Billy Bob.  I lived on Widow Crick road and worked at the Widow Crick trout farm. :)

glenn-k

Looks great.  We find that the generator helps cut down on the size of solar array you need in off periods, but hardly ever run ours.  A bit in the winter is about all.  Maybe 1 or 2 hours per week and last winter, I found I had accidently unhooked a few panels cleaning snow off them.  May not have needed it as much for a while.

Jimmy_Cason

That looks really good! Keep the pictures coming.

dmlsr

jraabe

I'm pretty sure Ozarkflyer is building the 20x30 1 -1/2 story cottage using the post and pier foundation plan (it also has crawlspace and slab options).

Mommymem

Wow looks great! Let's all hope for no rain during our building seasons :)

BluGrassGuy

[timestamp=1153780265]I live in Kentucky, and like the Post & Pier Foundation, but know nothing about useing it, such as, how does one keep the plumbing from freezing, do you just have to wrap it good? I know that this is probably stupid sounding for some, but no one around here uses post & pier. I have very little experince in building at all, just helping Dad build a couple workshops and garage, he always builds on a slab foundation, but he doesn't have plumbing in the buildings either.

Post & Pier sounds like a good owner-builder solution, bnut maybe it's not right for my neck of the woods, I live Southern Kentucky, were our winters are what I call very mild, we get down to freezing even in the teens, but very rarely do we ever see below zero, we do usually get snow sometime before winter ends, but it never amounts to more than a couple inches a couple times during the season.

Could someone  out there that has the knowledge of Post & Pier Foundations help me if you've got the time. To sum it up my questons would be, What about the plumbing? and Is my region Okay for this?

Thanks A Million!

- BluGrassGuy

glenn-k

Hi BluGrassGuy.  I think what Ozarkflyer did should probably work for you also.  They use post and pier here in freezing areas and insulate as necessary.  

Some of our higher elevations get weather similar to yours in the winter.

BluGrassGuy

Thanks glenn & ozarkflyer! I guess one could also box in around the post to make it a little less airy.

I'll be watching your progress flyer, I'm excited to see what it will look  like next you post.

Have a good day!

Tim

glenn-k

Nice progress, ozark flyer.  Nice sized dormer.  

I saw a big house withe tiny dormers the other day.  Seems like a waste if they are not big enough to be useful.

glenn-k

Somebody's been busy.  Great progress.  That is what I call a practical dormer. :)

Amanda_931

I was in a genuine McMansion under construction last year.  Huge place, elevator to the 2d floor, lovely curved steps.

And

A handful of little bitty dormers facing the roads (sitting catty-cornered at a crossroads).

I couldn't be sure, but as far as I could tell, the dormers, complete with windows (and a decorator already working to get things right), would be totally un-reachable once the drywall was put up.  But certainly, even if they were accessible through some tiny doorway that I didn't see framing for, they would not let light into the rooms on that floor.

Hey, big house, tiny dormers, put curtains in them.  No more maintainance!  They get dirty?  It's too high for anyone to be sure, especially looking from the road.

Nice, usable dormers are good.  That one will let lots of light in.

John_M

I agree about the dormers.  I had originally had four foot dormers in place for my 18 x 32 but once the rafters were in and the spaces left open for the dormers it looked too small from the ground (too narrow).  I wound up taking another rafter out and making them close to six feet wide.  I am really glad I did!

The first picture shows the original width they were and the next one shows the size they turned out to be.